S40 T4, engine knock HELP!

after getting my hands on a remarkably cheap S40 T4, I discovered why it was so cheap. Now I could do with the help and assistance of your monumental knowledge of all things Volvo..

at tickover it's lovely and quiet, under light load it's lovely and quiet, at about 3000 rpm if you 'blip' the throttle, it's got a rattle that sounds lighter than a big end, but heavier than a tappet. Drives perfectly (apart from a suspension rattle, anti roll bar bushes?)

I took it to the local Volvo main agent and asked the service manager to have a listen

His first words were "Oh bollocks, we had one like this about 6 months ago, we stripped the engine, measured and inspected everything and couldn't find it, ended up putting a new engine in, cost £3000, I'm still trying to pay for it".

These are not the words I wanted to hear, something along the lines of "No problem, just needs [1]. will cost £50" would have been much better news.

So, now my local Volvo dealer has washed his hands of it, anyone got any suggestions? [2]

[1] this is where you can help, hopefully [2] apart from sell the bloody thing
Reply to
Pete M

Tim.. waffled on in a quite bewildering manner to produce...

doesn't seem to happen under load, just at 3-3500 RPM. Think I've managed to find a reasonable way around the problem. Found another engine (50000 mile guaranteed, arse ended car) which will be supplied and fitted for £800. So I'm gonna strip the original engine down to it's bare bones and then I'll know. So there'll be a nicely reconditioned S40 T4 motor for sale in a couple of months.

Seems like a mad way to do it, but the car is needed for a LOT of mileage, and having it out of commission while I trace a rattle just isn't an option.

Ta anyway

Reply to
Pete M