s60 moonroof dead

Just today my '01 S60's moonroof decided to get stuck in the ajar position. The four way switch doesn't do a thing.

I think I need to start by getting to the switch, which is in the overhead console. Any hints on how to open it up, or other diagnostic ideas, would be appreciated.

Paul

Reply to
Paul_B

RTFM! Manual includes section on manually closing the moonroof. Fairly messy operation (lots of items to remove before you get at the manual close gears) but infinitely better than getting caught in a rainstorm.

Reply to
byrocat

Thanks for the info, minus the profanity and attitude. Turns out upon restarting the car the roof worked again. Will keep it closed until it's looked at.

Reply to
Paul_B

You know...although this post is over one month old, I thought that I'd reply anyway. I've been lurking around this group for close to ten years and replies like the one above have actually driven people away. There is absolutely no valid reason for the type of abrupt and rude reply that cat responded with. Since there is no "Manual" for us to buy, and since the VADIS disk is only Windows-compatible, those of us with Macs can't even buy one to use...just buy a Windows computer for dedicated use of that disk. Even in the owners manual, there isn't any instruction on how I can change a bulb in my XC70 if one burns out. Gotta take it in to the damned dealer. For a light bulb? Give me a break!!! This is a "help" newsgroup, not one of those insult groups that the above poster seems to have been weaned on, since he uses those cutsey little AOL abbreviations, like "RTFM". Some help 'you' are, hotshot! Why didn't you post the solution instead of getting your panties in a knot and flying off the handle at the Original Poster?

Reply to
Admin

If it ever happens again, try locking your doors with the button on the drivers door, and chances are that they won't lock. I had the same thing happen, but with the sunroof closed. When I got to my destination, I tried to lock the car with the button on the arm rest and nothing happened, not even with the remote. So I locked it with my key. When I got back, it did unlock with the remote. The alarm indicator on the dash was blinking rapidly as if the car had been tampered with. It wasn't because I was within earshot and within visual range for the whole five minutes that I was out of the car. Then I remembered reading something in this group months before that about resetting something by locking the car with the key twice in a row and then unlocking it. I got back in and the sunroof worked and the button worked to lock the car. It's happened twice since that first time.

Reply to
Admin

The service manager confirmed that operating the driver's door lock with the key resets the system (he didn't mention doing it twice though).

As for the manual, I ended up finding nothing there, so the other poster appears to have been wrong on that count too.

Thanks, p.

Reply to
Paul_B

You're welcome, Paul. I can't remember what the exact instructions are but they are written in the back of my owners' manual and right now my garage is 143 degrees and I don't want to walk in there right now. I was just there about an hour ago to bring some papers into the house. And, about the other poster...I have found that the people who bark the loudest in this group, particularly rudely, are usually the ones that know the least and spout off all the old wives tales about oil, etc. Jim in Las Vegas.

Reply to
Admin