Help key stuck in ignition 1988 1500 pickup

Hi, I need some help with my 1988 chevy 1500 pickup. I changed the oil in it today. Went to start it. Key moved to on position and now it's stuck. I can't start the truck - I can't turn it off and it's still on the ramps.

I'm going to disconnect the battery before it dies. Any help would be appreciated on fixing my ignition switch.

Of all places for the ignition switch to mess up. Must just have bad luck today.

Thank you - Brian

Reply to
sigmon

Well I fixed my own problem. Did a quick google search and found out what was involved. I ran back and for to the auto parts store and picked up tools and the lock, ripped the steering column apart and changed out the lock. Not fun but it's done now.

Thanks

Reply to
sigmon
1988. Back in the days of single sided keys? I had one back when. The square key was all alone, the round key worked everything else.

Yeah, sometimes they jam like that. I can't remember if on, or start was the usual jammed position. New cylinder about $15, I think?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Yes a single sided square key. The lock set cost $14 and you can chose chrome or black. My fear was moving all the plastic parts to get down to the switch in the steering. All the plastic seems to be rotten now especially under the hood. It's fine if you don't touch it. This time the horn switch if that's what you call it plastic tube thing broke. I stuck the wire back in it popped the cover on and the horn works so it came out ok.

I'm glad the truck is old enough not to have an airbag. That would have added some additional fun.

Thanks for the reply

Reply to
sigmon