Service engine light

Hi,

we bought a volvo s70 1998 T5 manual.

How can I turn off the service engine light ?

Thank you

Reply to
Lison et Georges

On the opposite side of the speedometer to the trip-counter reset on my 850 is what looks like a blanking plug. It can be removed to reveal a button which when pushed turns off the light.....

Maybe your car is similar????

Reply to
LaoFuZhi

For US models at least you need a code scanner to read out what trouble codes are set and to reset the service engine light. It would be good to find out what the car thinks is wrong with itself, eh?

John

Reply to
John Horner

Problem: "standard" OBD-II scanners will only display the fedrally-mandated emissions-related codes. They won't tell you what faults other systems are displaying, such as airbags, climate control, radio, etc.. To find out those details, it's a trip to the dealer, several hours wait, and about $50.00 if you don't pay them to fix it. Until I find an affordable way to read and understand ALL codes and OWN a full set of service manuals, I won't be buying a new Volvo.

Doug Warner

The service light needs a special electronic tool on 1996-1998 models.

Reply to
Mike F

Software to do it and read all the other ECU's:

Cheap interface cable at:

or make your own at:

OBD

I've been researching OBD2 readers and software and what I am hearing is that the ISO OBD port to serial 9 pin interface is "chipped" by each OBD software maker to work with their software ONLY, and so you cannot just make of buy an interface and use it with any software as is implied here

Anyone have the lowdown on this?

Here are some more links to OBD2 software & interfaces:

Reply to
polara

The makers of software uses different ways of protecting their buisness selling the software. Some uses, as you imply, hardware dependent software were some initialisation of the interface is performed before the actually communication with the cars ECU begins. Others just make software were you will have to register to get a key for full functions, these will usually work with any simple ODBII to rs232 interface. Maybe the tool sold at

is only using a simple hardware interface and wouldthen work with all other software programs that does the same Like Vol-FCR. So not any software uses a simple hardware interface, but where exactly is this implied on obdtools site, I cant seem to find that.

Per Hauge

"polara" skrev i en meddelelse news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com...

Reply to
Per Hauge

The obdtool.com interface is sold to work with VAG-COM, this software uses a simple interface and registration as the obdtool.com site says.

You could also make your own at:

but the parts /connectors would likely cost as much as the ready made obdtool.com interface for a one off.

Reply to
OBD

You are correct. What I meant to say was that the product being sold at

is not really a bargain at $71 because you aregetting limited functionality unless you spend an additional $99 to upgradefrom the shareware to the full version of VAG-COM. At that point you arespending as much as many of the other products on the market. Either way,you are locked into the VAG-COM product since your interface would not workwith any other OBD 2 product. Personally, I would wait to decide whichsoftware I like and is best for my vehicle, then buy the full package. Again, I'm not saying there is anything wrong with VAG-COM, but at $170 for the full product, it's not really any better deal then the other products out there.

Reply to
POLARA