Sqeal noise on 740 16v

Hi,

I have a sqeal noise on a 16v 740 1989 model, which only happens on start up and is rev related.

Have checked the belts and are found to be tight aand also lubricated belts. Every thing else seems to be quite normal.

Can anyone throw advise me on the cause. Im in Melbourne Australia.

Regards Dave

Reply to
David

I also had a similar problem with my 1990 model 740 not too long ago. Changed all my belts (they were due anyway) and it persisted. Turns out that the bracket that holds up the exhaust pipe just after the flange lost a screw, and at idle the exhaust is moving enough to produce an irritating squeal noise. _________________ Will '90 Volvo 744 GLT B230F converted to B230FB (531 Head & VX3 Cam)

Reply to
William Liao

lubricating the belts might cause them to sqeal, the one thing i would be concerned with on the 16 valve is the timing belt and tensioner,if the belt breaks the engine is toast, if you rule out the drive belts as the cause of the noise i would check the timing belt tensioner and make sure it is not siezing up. mark

Reply to
Islandguy77554

Well if it is belt squeal, then lubricating the belt will only make things worse. A drive belt is a friction drive, so lube is a no-no.

The squeal you describe is certainly typical of slipping belts - usually the alternator. If the belts are contaminated you may need to replace them (clean and dry the pulleys too), though it the tension is correct (usually around half an inch of possible deflection in the middle of its longest section) I suppose it's possible that it may cure itself.

Reply to
Stewart Hargrav

Not forgetting the balance shaft drive belt and tensioners.

Cheers, Peter.

Reply to
Peter Milnes