Starter or ??? 240 wagon

I have a 240 wagon 1986, was driven to a friends house but then would not start. I tried moving the gear selector through the gears to check the neutral safety switch and the interior lights don't dim and there is no click or other sound from the starter. Is this a bad starter or should I look elsewhere?? Previously the only trouble we have had starting was a vary rare flywheel to starter screach which was so seldom (once or twice in six months to a year) it seems not worth mentioning

Anthony Memphis TN

Reply to
DL152279546231

You should check for voltage at the starter, and at the solenoid (on the starter) when you turn the key before replacing anything.

Reply to
James Sweet

Well, it was the neutral safety switch out of adjustment. First I ran my jumper cable hot lead to the small connector on the starter and the engine turne over fine then I took the neutral safety switch out and with it loose from it's mounting the car started fine. Re-installed it and so far it is fine. Can' t understand however we tried on more than one occasion (2 different people) to more the gear selector while holding the key in the start position through all the gears and neutral and park and the car would not start. With an out of adjusment neutral safety switch we should have been able to start the car with this procedure.

Reply to
DL152279546231