stearing probs on my 89 240

my steering is getting tough and it whines when I turn the wheels. Fluid is full. Any thoughts?

Reply to
Pete

If you haven't done so lately, you might want to change the fluid. Use a baster, or something like it to pull out as much fluid as possible. Replace with new, drive long enough to mix. Repeat the procedure a couple more times. Won't fix a mechanical problem, but could help a whole lot. Dick in Falls Church

Reply to
Raj900

Pull yhe boots off of the rack ends and see if there is fluid in them. If not it is most likley the pump.

Reply to
Rod Gray

Have you checked the obvious such as the belt? If that's ok then the pump is probably shot. Should be able to get a good used one pretty cheaply.

Reply to
James Sweet