tailgate washer won't work

Hello, my rear tailgate squirty washer doesn't go. It's a 1989 240 estate (wagon). When I push the button on the stalk, the wiper moves, and the pump by the water reservoir whirrs. No water comes out the jets. I've tried to trace the route of the little hose, but only get as far as the bulkhead! Where does it go? Thanks a lot

olly R

Reply to
Olly R

On US cars it follows along the floor above the rocker on the right side of the car. It changes from reinforced clear vinyl tubing back to black rubber behind the right side tailight access panel via a redheaded check valve. Generally the check valve is stuck and needs repaired/replaced. Once washer fluid flows freely at that point you may have to blow out the jet. Disconnect the rubber hose from the check valve and blow shop air back throught the jet and hose until a good flow is felt at the open hose end. Reconect the hose test and repeat as necessary.

Bob

Reply to
Robert Dietz