"Tire hop"

2001 S60 T5 A SR with 90k miles

Shimmy between 60 and 75mph

Dealer wrote "road tested vehicle and verified concern.Inspected suspension for worn components and steering system - found no bad compoents in either system. recommend replacing all four tires or at the very least replacing rear tires - front tires have some "tire hop"

- would recommend replacing all 4 tires with Pirelli P6 all season - balanced front two tires - can still feel slight shimmy at higher speeds"

Sounds like mechanic and service advisor are trying to split a large commission check !!!!!!!!!

Front tires = Pirelli P235/45R17 94V M+S (very good thread depth - 10k) Rear tires = Kelly 235/45R17 93H ((avg thread depth - 30K)

Can I get away from the low profile? Can I move down from 17"? to what? With milege getting up there, can I go cheap? What do you recommend?

Thanks for your time

Reply to
Watashi.wa.ichiban

You don't mention that you've checked alligment or had the wheels balanced. If the tries have an irregular wear pattern due to bad aligmnet or other issues sometimes it is necessary to replace them - if they aren't true anymore there isn't much you can do.

Get a second opinion from a *good* tire shop.

-K

Reply to
Kelsey Cummings

Eveything that Kelsey said, and:

There is no way I have ever heard to test strut cartridges while they are on the car. The bounce test worked in 1963 but not today. Sure, you can look at them and see whether they are leaking, but if they are weak in compression or rebound dampening any slight out-of-round or imbalance situation with the tires could cause the wheel hop mentioned. Undulations in the road surface (like expansion joints or pavement sections regularly spaced) can cause this situation. At 90k I might suspect that the original cartridges are worn and could use replacement. Since the replacement of them would cost you a lot more than the tires, I am suprised that they didn't recommend that as well.

And if there is a compelling reason to buy tires at the dealer other than _they_ are going to pay for them, I sure would like to hear it!

And how sad is it when a Volvo owner with 90,000 miles on his car to say, "With milege getting up there..."? A 240 would have been just hitting its stride.

__ __ Randy & \ \/ /alerie's \__/olvos '90 245 Estate - '93 965 Estate "Shelby" & "Kate"

Reply to
Randy G.

If the tires are a different make, perhaps they are at a different level of wear ( thus diameters and rpms) and activating the traction control?

Ron/Champ 6

1963 8E5 Champ (Champ 6) 1995 VW Passat (Vanilla..yuk) 1994 Volvo 850 (Tilley) 1973 Volvo 1800 ES (Hyacinth Bucket)
Reply to
Ron

There are lots of ways to save money - buying "cheap" tires should not be one of them. You can get good quality "inexpensive" tires - but you have to read the full specs and shop carefully.

Jack G.

Reply to
Jack G