tire pressure?

I doubt whether it's pressure related. What is the recommended pressure?

How old is the tyre (UK spelling!)? Some tyres can die of old age after a few years, regardless of usage.

Reply to
Roger Mills

the other day, I had to have the left rear tire on my '89 240 wagon replaced because the tread was beginning to separate. I had been noticing some vibration, and when it kept getting worse, I pulled that wheel off and quickly found that there was a noticible bulge of the tread in one place. Needless to say, replacing the tire solved the vibration problem. The tires had about 30,000 miles on them, so hard to complain, and they did pro-rate the new tire. My question: is this something that would be related to tire pressure? I like to keep about 36PSI in my tires. The ride is a little firm, but the car handles fine and I get good gas milage and tire wear. This is the first time I've ever had a tire fail, so I view it as a random event of bad luck, but just wondering....

m9876c at yahoo dot com

Reply to
Perry Noid

I doubt it is related to pressure, 36 psi is probably the recommended pressure from the tire manufacturer.

Reply to
Andrew McKenna

yes, I really didn't think it was directly related to the tire pressure... as I recall, the sidewall mentions a higher limit than that, and as I said, I've always run around 35-37psi and this is the first time I've had a failure. The tires are about 3 years old, and have 30K miles on them, lots of tread left, so they weren't old, rotted, bald tires! Just bad luck, but good in the sense that I caught it before it let loose at highway speed!!!

Reply to
Perry Noid