transmission grease

I am swapping out M-46 manual transmissions in an '85 245.

Question: What grease to use on shift fork, shaft spines and bearing pivot?

Bentley bible suggests heat resistant: I have used Permatex White Lithium grease before to seeming good effect, but wonder if wheel bearing grease would be better?

Reply to
zencraps

Does the 'new' transmission come with the bell housing intact? For example, if the transmission were coming from a diesel and going to a gas engine, the bell housing would have to be changed.

I hope you are not changing the bell housing but if you are, careful and tedious attention to detail of fine print somewhere in the shop docs.

IF the bell housing is replaced, there is a procedure to set shims for the nose piece from the transmission and bell housing. if this is not done properly, in some thousands of miles, the extra play of the nose piece will eat out a conical section of the inside front of the transmission case and it makes a terrible swift sound on starting forward.

trust me. been there. done that. ain't fun. and the solution to prevention is definitely a trivia question to separate the truly experienced master mechanics and i don't fit in that category but i did learn that bit of trivia (with an 85 745).

snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net wrote:

Reply to
klh