Towing a Haul Master trailer?

I bought a little 40x48 Haul Master trailer from Harbor Freight. Only problem with it is that it states that max speed is 45 MPH. Really? I wanted a trailer that I could use on the highways, at highway speed. Does anyone know if this is overly cautious? I mean what is going to happen if you go 65 mph with it? The tires are going to fly to pieces from the high RPMs?

Reply to
geronimo

Almost any utility trailer is rated 45-55 mph, I think most people pull them faster from time to time, but use caution.

Reply to
James Sweet

Oh, the bearings could overheat and seize, or catch fire.

That sounds like one of ones with the smaller wheels (9"?), so yes, the tires could come apart from the speed or overheat and blow.

Keep in mind that things at Harbor Freight are made with the cheapest materials and very little QA. If you want a trailer to pull on the highway, go buy a real one. Expect that any trailer you pull will decrease your gas mileage; the faster you're driving, the more the impact will be.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Heston

What do you mean cheap, very little QA? I'll have you know that Harbor freight only sells the best of cheap chinese imports! ;-)

Well it does have the largest (12") wheels. thanks!

Reply to
geronimo

12" is pretty tiny. You're probably fine a bit over 45, but I don't think I'd exceed 55 or so with it, and even then it would be wise to pull over and check the hub temperature occasionally.
Reply to
James Sweet