Update on Used Volvo (1987 760 turbo)

Well, dejablues should win a prize! Her estimate ont he air conditioning was right on... about $600. supposedly, the line wore through, and it needs a new accumulator, line (which needs to be handcrafted) freon and labor=$580. Good job, dejablues! Not great for me....

More bad news, though....

My regular mechanic's (who deals with a lot of old volvos in his work--I live in a hippy neighborhood) inspection recomends that I get a new wiring harness, and that if I don't get it replaced, there is no reason to take the car. Of course, that's massive labor costs (total estimate: $800). What do you guys think about this assertion by my mechanic? Is he overblowing the problem, or is this as serious as he says? It makes sense, since many of the recent problems in the car have been electrical (oil light stays on, for example).

So, for the 1987 Volvo with 212,000 miles on it, we've got $1400 of repairs (so far--the inspection is not completed yet). My buddy is asking $2000. Is it worth even negotiating a lower price with the problems mentioned, or do I give up on owning the "Swedish Love Machine", that I have been coveting for so long. :-(

Your advice and opinions are greatly appreciated.

Right now, I'm severly bummed... :-(

Thanks,

Mike

Reply to
Mike (remove XX's to reply)

fugehdaboutit.

Reply to
hchickpea

:`-(

Just to be clear, in your opinion, it's not even worth negotiating down the price?

Thanks,

Mike

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Reply to
Mike (remove XX's to reply)

IMO, no. The vehicle sounds like a major money sponge. 212K miles puts a lot of parts near (or over) replacement time, and some parts for a vehicle that old get hard to find. Electrical problems are beyond 95% of most mechanics ability, from what I've seen. Replacing the harness might work, might not. If the main harness has rot, there could be other wires ready to make a short circuit, or connectors that are corroded and in need of replacement. You could end up with a lawn ornament (or a nice torch like I had with my last van that had electrical problems.) I would not get involved in such heartache. BTDT.

If you are looking at something this age and this many miles, at least look for a car that is in perfect condition (a sign of continuing care), or is becoming a popular classic that will build in resale value.

Reply to
hchickpea

I believe it wasn't until after 1988 or 89 that Volvo fixed their wiring harnesses - I have heard people call the older ones "biodegradeable"... this can't be good.

And from working on the electrics on my old commuting car, a 1991 Golf, I can say that electrics in cars are a bitch to work on (And i'm an industrial electrician for heavens sake!) because they are so backwards and plainly weird.... Tho Volvo stuff looks better designed then the circuits in the old VW's, but there is bound to be more complexity in a technology laden 760, then in a stripped down base model Golf.

Our 960's electronics have yet to fail... the only electrical issues we have are a power drivers seat that just can't get to where you want it thru memory (it tries, but it seems to get stuck and you must finish the process manually with the seat movement buttons), that and a failed FM radio (I believe the tuner chip has failed, as all the connections to the radio, and internal to the radio circuitry check out).

I'd consider a 940,960,or 850 if you want a Volvo... or a post 1989 740/240.

Reply to
Rob Guenther

Give it up, and find a better Volvo. With that many miles (212,000?), if the turbo has not been rebuilt recently, that is another service that you are looking at in the near future (between $1200 - $2000).

Reply to
Bev A. Kupf

That's the thing.... t5he previous wner HAS really babied it. She looks beautiful!!! Not a speck on her.

Alas, this car is like my ex wife, beautiful on the outside, ugly on the inside! ;-)

Thanks,

Mike

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Reply to
Mike (remove XX's to reply)

Bad wiring harnesses are a known problem with Volvos of this vintage - 800 bucks is a fair price....

The problem is probably MORE serious than he asserts - changing the harness is soomething that must be done....

| So, for the 1987 Volvo with 212,000 miles on it, we've got $1400 of | repairs (so far--the inspection is not completed yet). My buddy is | asking $2000. Is it worth even negotiating a lower price with the | problems mentioned, or do I give up on owning the "Swedish Love | Machine", that I have been coveting for so long. :-(

Find another one that has had the harness replaced and has a working A/C unit - you should be able to get one that doesn't require massive repairs for the same money.....

PC

Reply to
Proconsul

NO - the problems you've reported indicate systematic neglect....find a car that has been better maintained....

By the way, your "buddy" ain't a friend of yours.....

PC

Reply to
Proconsul

Nope - caring for the "innards" is far more important than caring for the cosmetic thingees......!

Your "buddy" ain't a friend of yours trying to sell you a pig in a poke that probably needs even more extensive work than you've uncovered so far - and I'll bet he knows it, too!

| Alas, this car is like my ex wife, beautiful on the outside, ugly on the | inside! ;-)

Put a new harness on her and you might try to get her back.....:)

PC

Reply to
Proconsul

Wow! Strong words... That certainly tells me a lot. I do know that he has been putting money into the car for years. He would mention all the repairs that he'd do as they happened. I also have all the service records, and he has put a lot of work into the car, maybe not the right work, but work nonetheless. Maybe his mechanic is the real villain....

One thing is for sure, once I saw that the Volvoites turned against the sweet Swedish Love Machine, my infatuation was broken, and I was truly convinced that this was not the right way to go.

Thank you everyone for your help and advice. It is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

Reply to
Mike (remove XX's to reply)

You can get a harness for the car from Dave Barton, or on the IPD site adds, or eBay. I got mine for 150$ through the IPD classifieds , replaced it myself in 3.5 hours (I am certainly not a mechanic, and it was not hard at all) and it solved just about every electrical issue I had. Any 7 series Volvo of that era had terrible harnesses, and if you find a car that still has the original (can't imagine it would be running, but anyway) plan on replacing the harness. Just to add, I bought my 87 760Ti wagon for 1k. Florida car with 205k miles , zero rust, everything worked on it, but it needed lots of TLC to get it where it is today. But it is an awesome car now, and I am glad I spent the money on it.

If you go for it and drop the needed repairs into it, you'll get alot more years out of it. It may not be entirely practical for you at this time, but old cars need lots of work anyway, so good luck in your quest.

cheers

RS

Bev A. Kupf wrote:

Reply to
Rusty

ROFL....I think I met her once somewhere...

RS

Proc> Put a new harness on her and you might try to get her back.....:) > > PC

Reply to
Rusty

Now that is one NICE looking motor. Good work.

Taff.......

taff

Why, thank you. That was last summers shot. It is actually looking a bit nicer now. I've since done the IC pipes in blue, as well as added some matching silicone vacuum, washer and air-horn lines. I know it's only window dressing, but the wow factor when I pop my hood is pretty fun. Sorta like the look on their faces when I take them for a ride and spool up that Stage

1 turbo. Yup.

I'll have new pix up in the next couple of weeks after I clean up the top end a bit more. Stop by again sometime.

cheers

MP

taff wrote:

Reply to
Rusty

pretty sharp car! unless the OP is a hobbyist and has other transportation, i still wouldnt recommend it. with 212k miles on it, the engine could possibly go any time. thats a lot of miles, no matter who makes the car.

Reply to
mike
.

transportation,

The engine itself is one of the last things I'd be worried about, they just don't "go", at least not in any way related to miles. Accessories do wear out, but the engine won't blow up unless the wastegate or related plumbing on the turbo fails and boost skyrockets.

Reply to
James Sweet

bearings spin, oil pressure drops, rings wear out, valves recede in their seats, carbon builds up, timing chains and belts wear and break, stuff just happens. if the car only had 112k miles and needed little work, id consider it.

Reply to
mike

Those things *can* happen, but I've never actually heard of most of that occurring. Timing belts break sometimes if owners don't change them on time but this car will have a non interference engine so that isn't a big deal. Only things I've ever seen cause catastrophic failure on a redblock is running out of oil and extreme overboost, neither of which relate to the mileage on the car.

These engines, like anything mechanical do wear out eventually, but it tends to be gradual and rarely before 300k. A leakdown and compression test and a visual inspection should give a pretty good indication of the overall condition of the engine.

Reply to
James Sweet