Used 1994 850 wagon - good idea? Bad idea?

I am looking at possibly buying a used 1994 850 wagon, 120K miles. Automatic, turbo, leather, 15" alloy wheels - all original. It has received correct maintenance and repair from the original owner whom I know very well. Basically perfect mechanical condition, and as it sits, the car needs tires, brakes, and an alignment (according to the honest owner).

The price to me would be very low, but I'm concerned about costs and reliability down the road. Of course, any thing could be a time bomb - transmission, turbo, etc. And I get it that some level of expense will be required to keep this car going into old age. But if anyone has thoughts on what I'm looking at with this car, I would appreciate the info. Just as an example, something like the valve guides needing replacement (which I understand Volvo now requires replacement via a re-built head versus the individual guides replacement) seems like it would start to approach the book value of the car. I'm willing to accept a certain amount of yearly maintenance/repair cost, but I don't really want to dump $3-5K every year into a car with no book value.

Can anyone help me get a realistic picture of what I would be looking at with this car?

I've always like this car since it's introduction, and I can do a lot of work (such as brakes) myself.

Regards - Dave

Reply to
DST

There was a problem with the lifters not getting enough oil - mainly in the '93 model, but also some '94s. Same thing with early transmission failure. If it's got new lifters and the transmission has had regular fluid changes, it might be ok. If it clatters noticeably, that's $1k+ to fix.

Reply to
Leftie

This is the second year of the 850. The '93 and '94 have a automatic transmission issue that normally hits between 80,000 and 125,000 miles. It requires a rebuilt transmission which is very expensive since it also includes the FWD stuff. Mine cost $4,000 to replace. Otherwise this is a fairly solid model. The leather seats and turbo are sources of problems also. The turbo will eventually wear out and need replacing. Leather seats on old cars tend to look bad but will continue to give good service.

Reply to
Stephen Henning