V70 TDI, 240,000 miles and still 'avin it!!

Hi all. Well, my 1997 V70 TDI finally clocked past the dreaded 240,000 UK miles during the week. Time to change all cambelts again, plus the waterpump whilst we're at it. I bought the car with 120,000 miles on the clock 5 years ago, and it's been almost faultless throughout this time. I've just put on tyres, brakes, changed oil, changed cambelts, and recently changed the front shock absorbers. Changed Headlamp wiper motor, injectors, and a couple of dash bulbs, but not much else. Apart from the headlamp reflector material peeling, I've had no major quality issues to speak of. She still looks mint on the outside, and I recently fitted some leather seats in the front, after my heated seat broke (OK, quality issue!). I sourced the leathers from a breakers yard, and the driver's seat has electric movements/memories. Lovely. Anyway, happy motoring to all, and I wish you all good luck, at least up to my mileage!! Also, may I take the opportunity to say to all those who gasped at the mileage when I bought the car: Kiss mine !! So long as this car keeps going, the D5 will have to wait! Cheers all. Joe Landy. Satisfied Volvo customer Peterborough UK.

Reply to
joe landy

Man, I wish we had the TDI's here in Canada.

RS

joe landy wrote:

Reply to
Rusty

Just picked up an 98 S70 2.5 SE, all the bells n whistles, with...60k on the clock. Guess the old girl has afew more miles in her yet if yours is anything to go by then!!!

Just done all belts, tensioners, waterpump, fluids, HT equipment etc etc which didnt leave alot from £500 but least know she is tip top mechanically now, although came with a FVSH there were several areas one could see the dealers had not bothered to do.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.

Great stuff Tim. I was thinking of changing my car this year, but whilst mine's not worth anything now, I might as well run it till it dies. Perhaps it'll last me till retirement (I'm only 24!) !! Mine has all the bells & whistles apart from sunroof. Aircon works great, Cruise control is a dream, and I really should fit a roof-spoiler. If my engine was to die dramatically, I'd break the car up for parts & sell them on ebay! That way I'd still get about £2000 for it in the end!! Happy motoring. Joe Landy Peterborough UK. joelandyman postmaster.co.uk

mechanically

Reply to
Joe landy

My aircon needs a recharge- its just borderline at the moment- the low pressure switch cuts it out in above25 deg C temps. Must get that done.

What do you use the car for??

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.

Hi again. The car gets used for the daily work run, about 15 miles each way, plus taking my Girlfriend to work, about 7.5 miles, then transporting my Radio Controlled helicopter fleet around (reason for Estate car), plus pleasure-driving most of the time!! My girlfriend and I enjoy lots of trips out in the countryside, visiting wildlife parks e.t.c, and I like to visit airfields of course!! Then there's my holidays to Cornwall for the last 3 years running, and my sister lives in Bath, so I visit her sometimes. We don't seem to go on too many long journeys, but we somehow do 27,000 miles per year. The car has probably lasted so long because it's never allowed to go cold! Always being used, with 7 or 8 hour rests overnight e.t.c. I have a friend who does air conditioning by trade, so I can have re-charges done at a good price. Mine's never required a re-charge, as I use it all-year-round (de-misting in the winter), and therefore it stays in GWO. My parents have a Citroen Xantia each, and they seem to require a re-charge every year! My friend tells me that Refrigerant only leaks out when the system hasn't been used for a long time, because all the rubber seals go hard & shrink. The oil which is suspended in the refrigerant keeps the seals supple, so if you keep it pumping round, you'll be fine. Always worth running it for 1/2 hour per week in the winter.

Reply to
Joe landy