Is it possible to retro-fit Cruise to 2001 V70?

Hi all. As a result of my previous post ( Cambelt/oil leak disaster in V70 TDI ), I have been looking around at other cars just to get a taste other options. I have found almost the perfect car, with all the toys which my 1997 model has, heated seats, headlamp wash-wipe, electric mirrors all round, leather, e.t.c, BUT it has no cruise control. This is my most-used feature on my current car, and I consider it essential! I was wondering if it was simple to fit cruise to this car. Is it just a case of fitting the extra switches in the steering wheel? My current car (old shape) has the control on the indicator stalk, but I'm fairly sure the new shape cars have all these controls on the steering wheel. I guess this could be a problem if the slip-rings for the connection of the extra functions are not fitted around the steering column? I would like to hear from anyone who has managed to retro-fit the factory cruise system. I understand that the Diesel model already has electronic throttle position sensor e.t.c, so shouldn't need any extra sensors fitting? Any help appreciated. Joe Landy Peterborough UK.

Reply to
Joe landy

I think there are aftermarket cruise control products that might work, at least Sears has them here in the states. I doubt if a factory one could be installed without replacing some major components. However, I am no expert.

Reply to
WPWise

I wouldn't try installing an aftermarket one in such an advanced car, they're usually a bit of a hack. A factory cruise control should be fairly simple though, nothing should need replacing, but it'll probably be expensive.

Reply to
James Sweet

It's perfectly possible and indeed the kit is sold as an approved volvo accessory. According to the Swedish version of the V70 accessories catalogue you can buy cruise control for around 3700:- SEK which is £275 at the current rate of exchange.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Cunningham

"Andy Cunningham" skrev i meddelandet news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Actually, you only need the hardware and an update of the cars software.

Reply to
Johan E

Hi all, and thanks for the encouraging replies. I will talk to my local (independent) dealer about having this fitted, and may end up buying the car in question! I'd like to buy the kit and fit it myself, but if it requires a software update my hands are tied. Many thanks. Joe.

Reply to
Joe landy