Vadis_guy on eBay

Any comments on this? Worth it?

Joe Blizzard

Glenn Klein

"Glenn Klein" wrote

I've heard that, but I own a 2000 model, so I would assume everything about it is reasonably well covered in any recent vadis release. A comprehensive service manual for $185 doesn't sound like such a bad deal. I paid nearly that much for a set of print manuals for a Subaru a few years ago. (I didn't get rights to subsequent releases with that either.)

That's something I'm wondering about. The guy says he's selling a legally purchased original, but is it legally transferable? And surely using it past the expiration time can't be kosher. That in mind, I might be just as well off with one of the cheap copies that are on eBay. Either way, I doubt any jackbooted Swedish thugs would knock down my door, I'm mostly just wondering if I'd get my money's worth out of the service information.

Reply to
Joe Blizzard

If you buy these DVD´s legally you pay much more than he is asking. Why should he pay more than 1000$ and sell them for 100$ ?? Cheapest for you is to get a copy, you can change the expiration on that too.

If you fix many things yourself and like to have deep knowledge of your car, its well worth the money. You dont get access to error codes etc. with the program, you cant hook up to your car unless you buy the VCT unit Vadis Guy also sells.

Niels

Reply to
Niels Bengaard

"Niels Bengaard" wrote

Thanks Niels. That's pretty much all that I'm really looking for. Do you use something similar yourself?

That's another subject which I'm curious about. I assume there must be something more to the VCT2000 than just translating protocols between the computer's IO port and the car's OBD interface. Otherwise people would be using the inexpensive PC/OBD interfaces that are available everywhere. I wonder what goes on in that costly little box?

Reply to
Joe Blizzard

The mandated OBD-II protocols are only a small subset of what that box will translate. OBD-II doesn't apply to the other system, like ABS, airbag, climate control etc., these codes are also done through the VCT2000. Also when software is loaded into various modules, it also comes through the VCT2000 box.

Reply to
Mike F

"Mike F" wrote

What's mandated is certain data that a vehicle must provide and a standard format for providing it. To be compliant, Volvo can make anything else they like available on the OBD bus in any format they like, as long as they include all the mandated stuff. The job of the interface box should be to provide a conversion between OBD interface's electrical characterisitcs, levels, modulation, timing and so forth, and those of the computer port so that data can pass between the two. The computer software is where the data gets sorted out to determine whether we're passing standard or proprietary information in any given chunk of data. At least that's how it works in most of the tools that are available for US cars that I'm familiar with. So the question remains: what's going on in the VCT besides signal conversion?

Reply to
Joe Blizzard

The VCT unit only converts signals. It can connect to all the systems in the car and not only read error codes like a normal OBD interface can. If you want to code new keys you can do that with the VCT unit, if you want to reprogram cabin lights, climate control etc. the only way is with the VCT.

I dont think you find an interface in the aftermarket that can do the same with a Volvo as the VCT. The VCT is a workshop tool that works along with Vadis, an OBD interface doesnt.

Niels

Reply to
Niels Bengaard

I don't believe there's anything else. Just more signals than are required under OBD-II. They're just charging what the market will bear, and some to cover their development costs.

Reply to
Mike F