volvo 240 seals/oil

I changed the engine oil. The new oil is: Castrol gtx 15w40 High Mileage oil.

Someone said to me that it´s not wise to use that kind of oil, because the "seal conditioner" in the oil will ruin all the (new) seals. (at this moment my car is not leaking anywhere). Is this true? Do i have to renew the oil immediately?

Volo 240 1993 350.000km

Reply to
Tintti

I don't know for sure, but if an oil would ruin new seals then it would (further) ruin old seals too. The material from which the seals are made would be the same either way, and any destructive effect would therefore be the same.

Reply to
Tim McNamara

"Tim McNamara" : The material from which the seals are

Ik think the effect will be that because of the "seal conditioner" ,the old seals will swell up and will give a positive effect (maybe stop leaking). New seals(or seals which are in a good condition) will also swell up and will lead to a negative effect (maybe starting leaking). In other words: it will solve a problem and cause a problem.

Reply to
Tintti

Maybe. I am skeptical of such claims, perhaps because being a US citizen I am subjected to specious product claims throughout my waking hours- the right of companies to mislead about their products being better protected by our laws than the right of consumers to have accurate information.

The Castrol page for the product focuses on resistance to burn off and little information on the seal conditioners, although I did not have time to read the linked information about the product. I'm going out for a bike ride, it's a beautiful if unseasonably chilly day. Cars can wait. If you're interested, there may be more pertinent information in the links towards the bottom of the page:

Reply to
Tim McNamara