volvo 240 little oil-drip

at my volvo 240 there is sometimes little oil-drip at the bellhousing/engine brace (just a little bit: 1 drop in three days). Where is this coming from ? the rear cranshaft oil seal? Gearbox?

( I thought the sympton for a leaking rear cranshaft oil seal, was oil on the outside of the oil-pan. In fact the outside of the oil pan is always wihtout any trace of oil. ?

Reply to
Tintti

Check the valve cover, sometimes it trickles all the way down. Rear main seal can also do this, sometimes the oil pan gasket, but usually the latter will get oil on the pan.

Reply to
James Sweet

Thank you for your answer. There is no trace of oil from the valve cover . So I understand it is "sweeting" from the rear seal. I found out that the flametrap was also clogged. I ´ve cleaned it yet. Is it possible that the dripping/sweeting now stops? Or do have to renew the rear seal anyway? (the seals were already changed bij the former owner; 10.000 km ago)

thanks in advance Tintti

Reply to
Tintti

Wait a bit and see. Clogged flame trap can definitely make seals leak. It can blow them out too, but usually when that happens the leak is very bad.

Reply to
James Sweet

Thanks! The oil dripping has stopped (I drove 500km´s after my last message. But is it possible that there is still al lot of in the bellhousing ? (I mean is there a gasket between the bellhousing and the engine)

Reply to
Tintti

No, anything in there will drip out.

Reply to