Timing belt Replacement

What should I expect to pay for timing belt and water pump replacment on 98 civic.

Thanks Tom

Reply to
twfsa

Around $450 to $800.

Make sure new shaft oil seals on the camshaft and crankshaft are included. Also, if the tensioner was not changed at the last TB change, consider having it changed, too.

Since the water pump comes off during this job, some coolant will drain. If an independent import car shop does the job, make sure it tops off the cooling system with only OEM coolant at the end of the job. If the shop says it doesn't have this, buy a gallon jug at the dealer for around $15 and provide it to the shop.

You might consider purchasing the necessary parts separately from an online genuine Honda parts dealer, such as

or
. Of course, some shops already charge lower prices for parts used in work they do for you.

Dealer prices tend to be a bit higher; independent import car shops, lower.

You should call around to get quotes.

"twfsa" wrote

Reply to
Elle

that's commonly recommended by people trying to sell you stuff, but not great advice. there's considerable chance of damage to the sealing surfaces in removing a seal without complete disassembly, something that is /not/ happening in this situation. decent oil has seal conditioner that stops any rotating seal leaks completely - i know this from experience. and besides, it's completely illogical to change the low velocity seals [the small diameter ones on the pulley end of the crank and the cam] just because they're easily accessible when /not/ changing the higher velocity seal on the output end of the crank, just because its hard to get at!!!

my advice is leave the seals well alone and use a good quality oil like castrol gtx. gtx has dried my 17-year old driveway sabotage machine up completely and she doesn't drip a drop any more.

Reply to
jim beam