Volvo 440: couple of questions for those who know.

Hi,

I Was looking for a new car recently, my mechanic looked around and got reserved from a dealer for me a 1995 N-plate Volvo 440 with 75k on the clock for £550, the newer facelifted model, I get the car on thursday/friday.

I was speaking briefly over the phone to my mechanic friend about the deal, it was a rushed conversation, so I don't even know what specific model it is, nor even the colour :-). My spec. was for a good condition car with reasonable mileage for my budget. I owned a Volvo 340 DL a time before, I'm not up on the 440 model range.

He has checked it over and it is in fine condition all round, but haven't seen him since and can't get him on the phone since he is away just now.

So, a couple of questions:

He says it is a 1.7 litre, he may not have checked this properly or got it wrong. Were the 440's available with a 1.7 at this time? I see searching the net that they were 1.6i, 1.8i,2.0i in petrol and 1.9 diesel by this stage, as far as I know.

If turns out to be a 1.6i, are they very underpowered or reasonably nippy?

Were all of the models available at that time (95/N) equipped with Cent. Locking/E. windows/Sunroof as standard, or was there still a base model with manual windows etc. A friend of mine had the old shape 440 1.8i on a K-Plate, nice car, but it had manual everything and no sunroof.

Just trying to get an idea here of what I'm going to get.

Cheers,

Tyger

Reply to
TygerTyger

(snipped)

It's probably 1721cc if I remember rightly. My 1919 440 GLT was one of the worst cars I've owned but don't let that put you off!

The good point for a car of that age is that the bodywork/paint seems better than most and ,if it's running well ,you'll be happy.

My memories are of a car that always pulls to the left ( it was built to be driven on the right ) and the constant noise from door pillars and dashboard. I had engine management problems to which Volvos advice was " don't use texaco fuel .. too much sulphur"

The Dealer never found a solution to my problems and the car became well known in the Trade with subsequent owners phoning me for advice.

Reply to
Swifty

They might have improved since 1919?

Reply to
jg

(cut).

Oh s*** , I meant 1991 but it was so bad it may as well have been 1919 :)

Reply to
Swifty

Hi. this is probably 1721 ccm 440 Volvo. I've got 440 1.8 DL. Your has over

100 hp (if it's 16v) or even 122 hp (turbo intercooler). 440 were made in netherlands or danmark. All is good except chassis rust... It's not a tinpalte :(
Reply to
valdek