Volvo humor

Below is the start of a humorous rant on Volvos. Find the full piece at:

Imagine a land where for 200 days of the year it's dark, or snowing, or both. The citizens of this land regularly vote for government regulation of everything up to and including bedtime. A beer costs more than the fridge to put it in. The national sport is suicide.

This last activity is equally popular with the elk which inhabit the interminable pine forests that cover most of the country. The creatures have just enough intelligence to chew cud without falling over, which may explain their habit of running into the road when they hear something alarming - like a car engine.

These cultural, meteorological and zoological factors leave their mark on the motor vehicles produced in this icy gehenna. Solid metal boxes: heavy on the headlights and the crumple zones. Life preservation is top of the agenda. Life affirmation isn't even on it. Ladies and gentlemen, this is all you need to know about the Swedes and their automobiles.

Reply to
Phil Hughes

Sounds good to me, I fail to see the humor in it.

Reply to
James Sweet

It is not for nothing that Volvo is called the "fastest snowplow in Europe".

And let's don't talk about SAAB, the "upside down canoe" or the "wingless aeroplane, that lost it's engine, too".

But my Volvo has not just avoided hitting the elks, it also avoided camels when I was avoiding entering the holy city of Makkah (Mecca) and took instead the "Christian road" that was available for us non-believers.

kiravuo

Reply to
Timo Kiravuo

I can certainly speak for the handling of these cars.

Mine is new to me, but is nearly 20 years old.

Probably allowing for the fact that it has had quite a bit of suspension work done on it in the last couple of years from the previous owner and myself, it handles like no car I have had before, including a vintage Trans-AM of the same 84' model year.

It takes corners with a passion, with minimal to no body sway, and never squeals the tires (New Pirelli 400"s).

Just amazing.

I'm sold on it.

I'm a believer.

Just wish I could find some snow here in Florida to test out the snowplow feature!!

Reply to
vinran1