What transmission fluid should I use....

Hello to all. I have a 1986 Volvo 240 DL sedan with the aw70 automati transmission. What is the manufacturer recommended (or otherwise best ATF formulation for my car? Thank you in advance for your help

-- wirry142

----------------------------------------------------------------------- wirry1423's Profile:

'6View this thread:

wirry1423

"wirry1423" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@no-mx.forums.yourdomain.com.au...

Dexron. It is also pretty likely the fluid hasn't been changed in a while, unless you know otherwise. If that's true, you will want to do either a complete fluid change (which involves unfastening a pipe and starting the engine a few times while adding fluid in between) or do a few empty-and-refill changes over the next couple months. The first method is preferable if you have a pro do it or if you want the best DIY method, while the second method ultimately uses more fluid but is considerably easier.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Actually I do know otherwise. I purchased the vehicle in 2000. In earl

2002 i had to have a complete rebuild of the original transmission du to lack of servicing and my stupidly trying to "rock" the car out of snow drift, causing overheating and "stripping" of the planetary gears Since that time I have always had the tranny serviced around ever 12,000 to 15,000 miles and I have had no problems with the exception o a burned out overdrive relay which I previously posted about and hav subsequently replaced successfully. The fluid level is fine right now and relatively clean as I had my last service about 9 months ago. simply wanted to know what fluid I should use in case my level eve becomes low between servicing periods, for my own personal knowledge s that I don't ever put in the wrong ATF fluid. Is Dexron th manufacturer recommended fluid or simply a preference from experience? If it is not the manuf. rec. fluid, what is? Thank you again

-- wirry142

----------------------------------------------------------------------- wirry1423's Profile:

'6View this thread:

wirry1423

"wirry1423" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@no-mx.forums.yourdomain.com.au...

It's the official fluid of our '85 AW70. Good to hear your fluid is being watched :-)

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Ford specs !

Reply to
Martijn

Thanks Mike, Dexron it is. Have a great July 4th

-- wirry142

'6View this thread:

wirry1423

Stopped at the auto parts store to pick up an extra bottle of tran fluid. Found Dexron III. Is this the correct fluid

-- wirry142

'6View this thread:

wirry1423