wheel hop?

1986 245 with power steering. I know that the struts need replacement and tires are done for also. I've got 195/60/15 size tires on Virgo rims. When I turn the car at full lock in either direction there seems to be what could best be described as wheel hop. It feels as though the car wants to push slightly forward instead of turning smoothly. I'm going to have all bushings checked but I'm looking for any ideas you might have.

I have very similar on my 945 and am about to replace all front bushings and steering swivels. It only happens when steering is tight left. I suspect that yours only happens on tight right (LHD). It is best to replace ALL bushings and steering swivels to re-start on an even footing.

All the best, Peter.

700/900/90 Register Keeper, Volvo Owners Club (UK).
Reply to
Peter K L Milnes

Nope, it happens on both left and right turns.

I'm planning on replacing with all poly bushings. What exactly do you mean by "steering swivels"? If this helps I've noticed that it tends to handle much the same way as my 144 did when it had a bad idler arm bushing. It tends to dive and pull across ruts on the expressways. It is my understanding that there is no idler arm on the rack and pinion steering system. Is that correct? I was a little afraid that the rack might be on its way out. What are the symptoms of that? If it helps, there is no noise such as groaning, grinding, or squeaking that I can detect.

I am at the moment negotiating with the supplier of Superflex poly bushings. The steering swivels are the ball joints at the bottom of the suspension struts. Yes there is no idler arm on rack & pinion steering. The rack is moved right and left and the steering knuckles are carried at the racks extremities where the tracking adjustment is carried out. If you cannot disturb the rack when moving the wheels with car on ground or the movement produces no free play the rack should be fine.