Bushings? Passat 1.8T Sport

Hi,

please can I ask this NG for some advice?

I've got a 2002 VW Passat 1.8T Sport saloon (bought second hand from a dealer). I'm happy with the car, its fun to drive.

But it's developed a fault; when switching from reverse to forward particularly under full wheel lock (for example after reversing out of a parking space) there's a soft but audible clunk which appears to come from the driver's side front wheel. The noise sounds mechanical, the car feels like it is momentarily wheel spinning (though I'm not applying excess power). Thereafter its fine, apart from a slightly creaky steering.

The dealer has diagnosed a fault with the 'bushings' which he says VW are aware of, and affects other VW models using the same suspension components. He has advised me that we will be contacted when a repair is available. I'm told the car is safe to be driven.

So... is this diagnosis likely to be correct? And if so, should I hold my breath waiting for the phone to ring, or return to garage to insist that repairs are required?

many thanks! Pete

PS. I've seen a similar fault described here, but that's on a '98 model

Pete

Power steering? read the manual on not turning it at full lock for more than

15secs? strains the linkages etc might be something there. just a suggestion no expert.
Reply to
Joe

Could be brake pads shifting within the calipers, or suspension. Haven't heard anything coming from VW on this issue yet here in the USA?

components.

Woodchuck

Hi Joe, thanks for the suggestion. I don't think its the power steering - the noise occurs even with a slight turn applied. Pete

Reply to
Pete

Thanks Woodchuck.

I don't think its the brakes shifting (though that was one of my first thoughts too)... the noise occurs after I've applied the throttle, so the brakes aren't being applied at that precise moment the noise occurs.

The other thought I had was the drive train being seriously worn (buts its only 13,000 miles).

Pete

Pete

Me too, could be a cv-joint boot split open, joint completely dry and with plenty of play -

Would be sufficient if the boot was damaged early enough.

Ingo

Reply to
Ingo Braune

Do a search in

Many people have reported this (including myself) but no one has really come up with a definitive answer on what this clunk is.

It seems to happen to brand new 2004 cars as well..

Theories are: Suspension ABS self-test (which sounds weird to me). etc..

Reply to
a2gti2