Wire Color codes -Green Books - 89-780

I have the Green Book, 780 1989 Wiring Diagrams.

What a wonderful book. Thanks Guys!

Most of the codes are clear. But some are not, to me. There are some I do not know.

What is SB, W-SB, T-SB, GN, GR,?

I asume that BL is black, Y is yellow, GN-R maybe green w/red strip.

Anyway, my battery goes dead after being parked for a few days. I assume that I have a high resistance short to ground.

Time for me to learn every wire. They are all in very good condition. As is the whole car. I think I will put in a new sound system, this winter.

Regards to you all!

AJ

Reply to
AJ

Hi "AJ",

Re the Volvo wiring colour codes:

BL = Blue R = Red BN = Brown SB = Black GN = Green VO = Violet GR = Grey W = White OR = Orange Y = Yellow P = Pink

True for the 240 series up to 1986, but I'm pretty sure it will work for your '89 780.

Good Luck. Andy I.

Reply to
brackenburn

Well a short to ground can only be one thing - incredibly low resistance. Everything else is a resistive load... You could have a low resistance resistive load between positive and negative (chassis ground). This is the most likely cause of the battery drain, something drawing too much current.

Reply to
Rob Guenther

another thought - check the door switches and courtesy lights. I had a bad door switch that caused my courtesy lights to stay on after the doors were closed - result, dead battery in a matter of hours. If in doubt, pull the fuse.

cheers! steve

93 volvo 850GLT 202000 miles
Reply to
steve sedlis

Thanks everyone!

I removed the radio/equallize. That may have been where my problem was. We will see. I do not drive it much in the winter. Just play with it. This year I will put in a new sound system. One of the POs had a changer put in at best buy and they really messed up the wiring.

AJ @ Home in Wisconsin

1989 - 765 w/134k Miles 1989 - 780T w/143k Miles 1987 - 245 w/225k Sold
Reply to
AJ