Right side headlight has a green color...

Its me again, the one who was replacing his headlights.

Well what happened is I broke the right headlight on my jeep. I replaced them with some Silver Stars and noticed that one had a green color to it, so i took it back. When I put the replacement in, it was still green. The likelyhood of getting 2 defective lights is slim. So im thinking it has something to do with the wireing or something. Does anyone have any insight to this?

Note: when i broke it, it was raining, so maybe it got some water up in the bulb and some how messed things up...

Thanks!

Brett

Reply to
Brett Little

L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Brett Little did pass the time by typing:

Like some bulbs you might have to give it some time to burn in and remove any impurities in the filament.

Give it a few days of operation then check again.

Reply to
DougW

Each headlight has it's own ground tag I believe. I would be suspecting the ground for that light has a dirty connection.

Mike

Brett Little wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Tried it and its the bulb. I took the green one, plugged it in on the other side and it was still green. So i know its the bulb thats messed up.

Someone said maybe thats the way its supposed to be and its the other one thats defective. I dont think thats right because the other one is a nice bright looking white color and everyone says thats how it should be. But I say if the green way is how it should be then I dont know why I payed 25 bucks for em and might as weill get some generic ones.

I might just return both of them and get the "Cool Blue" ones. I think they would look pretty cool on my jeep.

Reply to
Brett Little

That green color makes me think that there's something inside the envelope that shouldn't be there

Reply to
Lee Ayrton

Im not really sure what im not supposed to be touching here. If it makes any difference, im changing out the whole headlight, not just the bulb on the inside.

I might go ahead and try my luck at ANOTHER silver star, but if i do that they have to order one for me and im tired of waiting. So i think im going to go and grab some Cool Blues. They will make my jeep look fancy anyways!

That green color makes me think that there's something inside the envelope that shouldn't be there -- like air. Last week I fired up a 650watt halogen lamp and it was bright green too. Bad lamp. You might have gotten two bulbs in a row out of a batch of defective lamps. Take it back and have them keep giving you new ones until you're satisfied. If they squeek offer to show them what the problem is.

Oh, and Bill's warning about not touching the lamp is real. The oil in your finger prints will _not_ burn off the glass, it'll make hot spots on the surface and cause early lamp failure -- sometimes explosive failure. I'm forever changing 1000watt double-ended lamps (like the ones in those wedge-shaped yellow work lights) with 3 bumps one one side and one on the other -- the fingerprints from the last schmoe who changed out the lamps. Use the plastic bag the lamp came in, or wipe the lamp down with rubbing alcohol after you are done handling it. Touching the base os OK.

-- "I defer to your plainly more vivid memories of topless women with whips....r" R. H. Draney recalls AFU in the Good Old Days.

Reply to
Brett Little

Ah, my bad. I thought that you were working on a system that used replacable lamps with non-replacable reflectors and lenses, instead of entire sealed PAR lamps. Forget what I said about skin oils.

Reply to
Lee Ayrton

Reply to
twaldron

If it's a TJ headlight, you don't have to worry about touching the bulb. TJ's use a round sealed beam headlight, and you can't touch the bulb inside. Many, if not most vehicles now use a separate bulb and headlight assembly, and you should NOT touch those bulbs.

If you decide not to go with the Silverstars, I would recommend the Sylvania X-Tra Vision. MUCH brighter than the Cool Blues, and longer lasting also.

Tom

Reply to
mabar