WTB 240 valve adjustment tools

i need the tools to change the valve adjustment shims on my 89 240, only 1 valve is out of adjustment,I've had my 88 240 for 10 years and never adjusted the valves, i will probably only use this tool once, so id like to find a used one.

Reply to
Islandguy77554

You probably already have one - a large flat screwdriver. Position it between the camshaft and the edge of the shim bucket, then lever carefully against the cam shaft. A sharpened electrical screwdriver, or similar, pushed into the notch on the top edge of the shim bucket will dislodge the shim, which can then be removed.

Reply to
Stewart Hargrav

If it's anything like a Fiat tappet (old Fiat/Lancia/Ferrari 308s use the same shims as Volvo), you can blow air into the bottom of the groove, and this is supposed to pop up the shim. I've used screwdrivers without a problem.

Is your shim too tight? or loose?

Reply to
Myron Samila

Over the years, I've collected a bag full of red-block shims, thinking that it would be foolish to throw them away - but I don't suppose I'll ever need any of them. I've often thought that someone should set up a 'shim exchange', where you can swap shims with others who have the size you are looking for. The internet would be ideal for this, but I doubt that the costs involved in mailing one or two shims is much different from buying new ones, and there probably isn't that much demand anyway.

Reply to
Stewart Hargrav

FUNNY you should mention that!!!

That is exactly what they have at

, they've setup a Fiat shim exchange, it costs $2 for any amount of shims plus shipping, then you must return the shims you don't need (calculate what size you want and request, but I usually send them some of my spares).

Ferrari owners will claim that their shims are "stronger", well, they were all practically made at the same factory (Fiat used to make the Dino engine at one point, the

206/246).

Anyhow, if you want to sell your collection of shims, please please contact me!!! I have enough Italian cars that use the same shim! ;)

Heaven's no, please don't throw them out, hehe (a collection of 140 shims sold on ebaymotors recently for $200 USD, can you believe that?, mind you, they were new, but no matter, I use a digital caliper to measure them for wear anyhow, and I think the cam would wear first)

Reply to
Myron Samila

i did try the screwdriver method before posting for the tools with no luck, I gave it another try using the pointed end of a rat tail file to dislodge the shim, and it worked i just needed to be a little more aggresive with it, the first time i was afraid of damaging the shim bucket. i'll have to order the shim since no one has them locally. The shim exchange sounds like a good idea, but probably not much demand as far as volvos go. if i can't find the correct one maybe you have one i can buy from you. thanks, mark

Reply to
Islandguy77554