Z24i engine question

I have an 89 Hardbody pickup with the Z24i engine -- that's the 4-cyl engine with 8 spark plugs.

Owner's manual says to adjust the valves every 16,000 miles (as I recall, it's 16,000 -- may be 15,000 or something like that).

Anyway, I am only driving the truck 5-6,000 miles a year and it's time for a valve adjustment. Took it to a local dealer who told me there is no requirement to adjust the valves on this engine.

I moved to this community a few years ago and left behind a dealer I could trust. I have had serious problems with my present dealer who told me the valves are not supposed to be adjusted -- body shop, parts, and service -- first time I have ever been unhappy with a dealer.

My question is: Am I still supposed to adjust the valves on this engine at the recommended interval, or, has there been a change order from Nissan to stop adjusting the valves?

Thanks.

Reply to
Joe S.

I have an '88 with the Z24. My FACTORY (not Haynes or Chiltons) manual says they should be adjusted every 15,000 miles. I can't speak to a factory "change" order, but the valves all have adjusters on them, and in the three years I've had my truck I _have_ had to adjust them. I would say that an engine with well-adjusted valves would probably go longer than 15,000 miles before requiring another adjustment, but that they should be at least checked occasionally to determine if adjustment is required.

(It's not terribly hard to do if you have some mechanical aptitude.)

Cheers, Geoff Glave Vancouver, Canada geoff [AT] glave [DOT] org

Reply to
Geoff Glave

Thanks. I'm still waiting for an answer about a possible factory change order. My owner's manual and my factory manual are just like yours --

15,000 miles.

I have never tried adjusting the valves on my engine because my local dealer did it for me. I am also a VW Bug owner, having owned one or more Bugs since 1957 and I adjust the valves on my Bugs as required -- I do mine every

6,000 miles. I have read the procedure for adjusting the valves on the Z24i and it does not seem to be any more difficult than adjusting valves on the old VW -- just more parts to remove to get to the valves.
Reply to
Joe S.

Joe,

That's about right... There is some junk to remove - Primarily the air filter assembly + related lines and spark plug wire clips. Tips if you choose to do it yourself:

1) In my '88 the valve cover is held on with big phillips screws. You may find you need a phillips head + extension on a ratchet to loosen / tighten them. Not everyone has a phillips "ratchet" in their tool box. 2) To rotate the overhead cam you can either "bump" the engine or put a big wrench on the camshaft bolt and pull. 3) If you choose the wrench method make SURE you don't drop it down the timing chain channel. I'm so paranoid about this I tie a length of rope on my wrench to make sure I can fish it out if I let go. 4) If you choose the wrench method yank a set of spark plugs. No compression makes the job a lot easier.

Cheers, Geoff Glave Vancouver, Canada

Reply to
Geoff Glave

Reply to