'03 Jetta hesitation on acceleration

My daughter's 03 Jetta, 2.0 automatic occasionally and intermittently fails to go when you press the accelerator. There is a very perceptible lag in the acceleration, enough that if you were rolling into traffic, and hit the gas expecting to go, you would become very nervous about the cars bearing down on you. She has noticed it on several occasions, and I drove the car for two weeks and experienced the problem three or four times.

The dealer has had the car for the last two days, and the car does not register any faults when hooked up to the computer. Of course, they could not duplicate the problem while on a short test drive. We had them keep the car overnight, and send it home with one of the techs, but still the problem didn't appear.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? Anyone have a clue as to what it might be?

When I spoke to my daughter today, she mentioned that when she pulls the transmission out of park into reverse, the car has a tendency to "lunge" forward before settling into reverse. I've not experienced this, but wonder if the two things might be in some way related? The hesitation issue seems to me that it is more likely a transmission/torque convertor issue than something with the engine.

Thanks in advance for the help!

DS Seattle, Washington

Reply to
DFS

Could be-

1- sticky brake light switch 2- do you ride the brake? It's a fly-by-wire throttle so if you ride the brake pedal the ECU cuts the engine RPM back. To see this happen while driving the car slightly push the brake pedal while still on the gas and a short time(seconds) later the RPM will lower. 3-Delay in going into reverse/drive is pretty much normal. Was explained as a emission thing especially when engine is cold..
Reply to
Woodchuck