1.8L '86 charging problem

Okay update, with new info. Had the battery replaced, it was bad. The alternator was re tested still good but not it is installed again and the battery is dead and not charging. I get 3.54 volts from little wire to ground, and only the dyineg voltage of the jumped battery from the big post to ground. All connections were cleaned and everything was working great for a few days, now it is all dying again. The battery light has not shut off for several days, it flickers when the car is in motion, more revs, more flicker. At one point to battery was charging at a steady 11.6 volts, not enough to shut of the light but it was holding. Now dead. This is getting very frustrating.

Reply to
dan

How was it tested?

I assume that's a typo for "...but now it is..."

Sounds a lot like when the brushes in the alternator went on my '87 Scirocco, though that "tested still good" has me wondering. Once mine started to go, it never put out full voltage again, and it got worse pretty rapidly after that. Early on charging the battery gave the illusion of good operation for a day or two, but the alt. light still flickered from time to time. When it got to it flickering most of the time, charging let me keep going for a couple of days until I bought a new alternator.

- Bill

Reply to
William J. Leary Jr.

Reply to