Problem with Keyless Entry/Alarm Set

Hi There:

I've seen a couple entries on this, but none seem to address the issue I'm having directly. I've got a 1999 VM Jetta Wolfsburg Edition which came with its wireless entry system. I'm having a problem that is inconsistent locking of the doors when I use the wireless entry. It seems to work sometimes and not others. When I lock the car with the wireless remote, the alarm always goes on. However, more often than not, the doors do NOT lock as they previously did. Then occasionally they will without any obvious reason why (not an issue of windows/sunroof being down or anything like that). Does anyone know what the deal would be with this? The dealer wanted some $100 just for a diagnostic (before fixing). It could be that I need a new remote (it's pretty battered), but I've tried new batteries, and am not convinced this is it since it does work to transmit the signal to arm the alarm.

Thanks!

Reply to
Andrew Merseth

Due to the bulkiness of the the electronic key and similar probles I only use the valette key now. It is a lot smaller and has less problems.

Reply to
barry

I have the same problem. Seems to point to a broken wire in the alarm circuit - at the flex joint by the door post. It behaves itself if I do not use the remote - just the key for locking.

The remote works ok to unlock the trunk.

barry wrote:

Reply to
Jack