OBD II on a 96 Jetta ?

Hi, I just held a scanner that is OBD II compliant and it wouldn't scan the computer. Mine is a 1996 Jetta manufactured in Sept 1995. Can someone confirm whether it definitely should have OBD II. Thanks

Reply to
roshan

OBD-I = 1993 to 1995. Your Jetta might have been built with an OBD-I. It should still scan the emissions stuff like O2.

Reply to
Peter Parker

wasn't it a federal law that all cars have OBDII by the 1996 model year?

Reply to
VWGirl

Since mid-'94-'95 some vehicles were equipped with the second design, OBD II systems. In '94-'95 only select models were equipped with this new system, and in '96 every vehicle sold in the United States were equipped with the OBD II system.

found here:

simply put, under federal law, your 96 jetta has OBD II

Reply to
VWGirl

Check the emission yellow tag under the hood and it should tell you which OBD system it is.

Reply to
Woodchuck