1.8T -VWs worst engine-ever?

What a great engine...
LOL
Bulletins for 2002 Volkswagen GTI 1.8L T L4-1781cc 1.8L Turbo
Service Bulletins
TSB Number Issue Date TSB Title
1. 9704-02 APR 04 Ignition System - MIL ON/Misfire DTC's Set 2. 0104-05 APR 04 Engine Control Module - Unnecessary Replacement 3. 9104-01 FEB 04 Audio System - CD Player/Changer Display ERR Code 1 4. 9104-02 FEB 04 Audio System - Radio Inoperative Following Replacement 5. 5004-01 JAN 04 Body - Industrial Fallout Paint Damage 6. 9103-02 DEC 03 Audio System - Radio Knobs Loose/Broken 7. 2003-02 MAY 03 Emissions - Evaporative Emissions System Testing 8. 0103-04 APR 03 Engine Controls - Misfire DTC's Set 9. 1003-01 FEB 03 Engine - Replacement Precautions/Recommendations 10. 0103-02 FEB 03 Ignition System - MIL ON/Misfire DTC's Set/Rough Running 11. 0102-03 JUN 02 Engine Controls - No Scan Tool Communication 12. 9102-04 MAR 02 Audio System - Poor Radio Sound Quality/Bass 13. 9102-02 MAR 02 Radio - Poor Sound Quality/Insufficient L/H Side Bass 14. 0102-02 MAR 02 Immobilizer System - Obtaining PIN Number 15. 0102-01 FEB 02 Diagnostic Tester - 7 Digit Immobilizer PIN Update 16. 6902-01 FEB 02 Deployed Air Bag - Repair Warning 17. 9102-01 JAN 02 Premium VI Radio - Controls Do Not Respond 18. 9101-05 NOV 01 Radio (Premium VI) - Maximum Turn-On Volume Inoperative 19. 4401-05 AUG 01 Alloy Wheels - Cleaning Procedure 20. 7001-02 AUG 01 Interior Fabrics, Vinyls and Plastics - Dirty or Soiled 21. 7001-01 AUG 01 Leather Upholstery - Dirty/Stained 22. 5001-01 AUG 01 Paint - Swirl Mark and Fine Scratch Reduction 23. MAINTVMS01-03 AUG 01 Scheduled Maintenance - Procedures Update 24. 0101-04 AUG 01 ECM - MIL ON, DTCs P0604, P0605, P0606 ECM Defective

> The German carmaker Volkswagen said it was recalling up to 850,000

Why do people like you insist on advertising your stupidity?

    Paint swirls are due to the engine?     CD Player and Radio problems?     Airbag deployment?     Dirty alloy wheels and leather upholstery?     Immobilizer reprogramming procedures are an engine problem?     Obtaining replacement codes for lost keys are an engine problem?     Revised maintenance procedures are a problem with the engine?
ROTFL...
You're a pathetic troll.

\ / ASCII ribbon campaign | I'm a .signature virus!

It's msotly just J.H.

=) Glad to see someone else notices. Steve Grauman
Bernd Felsche wrote:
"Bernd" is your name pronounced like "Burned" by 1.8T ignition problems or like "Burnt" by 1.8T oil sludge problems?

You're absolutely right Bernd, not all the problems on that inclusive list of TSB Bulletins for the GTI 1.8T were engine problems. But, a bunch were, and they went on for a depressingly long time. Certainly the list shows the GTI had more than just engine problems. That's the nature of such a TSB lists, always has been.

Now for some of the stuff you tried to ignore, Bernd.
Here's one section, again, Bernd.

Just using the numbers above, that were widely reported in the press, the recalls on 1.8T engines totalled 926,000 units.
Do you know of any other VW engine that has had that number of recalls, Bernd?
Looks like to me the 1.8T deserves the title "VWs Worst Engine-Ever"
I've owned VWs since the air-cooled Beetles in the 60s, and water cooled gas and diesel, turbo and non-turbo, and I certainly can't think of another VW engine with anywhere near that level of problems.
Serious thread title for hopefully a serious discussion, that rises above your petty name calling, Bernd.
--
JH

I'd say that the Fox would argue for it's right to these awards. Steve Grauman
Volkswagen's reputation for reliability has been poor for 5 or 6 years now. And that includes the 2.0, TDI and VR6. So if you own one, ANY of them, you should be concerned. However, Honda had sludge problems with the V6 in their Odyssey van and in the Accord. They also had assorted transmission problems, problems with the Odyssey's powere sliding door, and trim and paint problems on more than 30% of their 2003 Accords. And yet they're still regarded as making some of the most reliable cars on earth. So if you're going to bash the 1.8T, which is still VW/Audi's most popular engine BTW, then you're sort of bashing every model they make by proxy. You know, I should hope, that they had window regulator problems on the Jetta for 2 or 3 years, and that was on Jettas with EVERY engine. BTW, the TDi had known cooling problems for several years, even well into production of TDI equipped MKIV Jettas. You can see the NHTS'a website as well as many others. Steve Grauman

That should be NHTSA's Steve Grauman
Here's a whole string of threads about the TDI: http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.ef0873a
And this is just from Edmunds. Search Google for a MUCH bigger list. Hell, all you need to do is watch this NG for numerous reports of airbag lights, check engine lights, window regulator failures and many assorted other problems. VW's QC isn't very good these days. Do I still love my GTi? Yupp. DO many others still love THEIR VWs? Yupp. Does J.H.s assinine attempt to put me down after I shoved the 1.8Ts accleration ability down his throat mean anything to me? Not a chance in hell. Drive Happy. =) Steve Grauman
JH wrote:

More than half these TSBs are *not* engine-related.
-- Mike Smith
Gee, out of all the TSB's you listed I see only 3 which pertain to possible problems. The majority of the others are helpful information to let the tech fix or clean your VW better.

Also, while the coil was a major fiasco and poorly handled at first by VW, it doesn't at all make the engine bad.
If a spark plug went bad, would someone say that the engine is poorly designed or made? I think not.

Bass
Defective
cars.
four-cylinder,
Audi
the
build
of
The 1.8t has been on trade magazine "Ward's Auto World's" list of 10 best engines on at least one occasion, in the company with BMW's sixes and other very good engines. Ward's liked its broad power band and minimal turbo lag. While the 1.8t has had the resolved-under-warranty coil problems and can sludge up if the oil isn't changed when recommended, it is far from VW's worst engine ever and is, in fact, a very good engine. If you were to single out VW's worst engine ever, it would probably be the air-cooled engine that created VW. This, of course, is not because it was a bad engine for its time, but because time marches on.
TF wrote:

The current 2.0L is pretty useless as far as engines go... It has decent low end grunt, but the TDI's have way more (and the diesels don't use any oil... at least mine doesn't with 108K Kms on the clock)... There is some power in the midrange, and almost none in the higher revs.... The 2.0L's seem to all drink oil and they aren't the greatest engines for fuel consumption.

Whether it pertains to the engine or not, that list is easily dwarfed by TSB lists of other makes of same year.

No, I'd say it makes for GREAT donor material when transplanted into an early chassis.
Keep lining up those motor mount holes VW.
TBerk I know, it aint all cake n' icing.