Caravelle 2.5 TDI 2000 auto

I am having real problems trying to sort out why my caravelle won't change gears correctly. So far I have changed airmast meter ,air filter, fuel
filter, rebooted the ECU, had an expensive diagnostic by VW which showed nothing and had the gear box re built. The vehicle still does not change gear correctly. It either thumps between gears or delaying changing up. Has anyone out there got any idea what this problem is?
Any help would be appreciated!
Ray Greene

We didn't get TDIs over here (we got VR6s) in our T4s but assuming the transmission is the same (or very similar), try resetting it. You said you rebooted the ECU but is that the engine ECU? In this case I'm talking about resetting the transmission controller (not the engine's ECU).
To do so, turn the ignition on (don't actually start the car...turn the key to the "on" position where the instrument idiot lights come on), floor the accelerator pedal for at least 10 seconds (try 15 just to make sure), release accelerator, start vehicle. It should now be reset to the factory default settings and drive on...hopefully that cures it.
Thank you. Seems to have made an improvement
Cheers!

change
up.
you
about
key

Cool...glad it worked. It could have been stuck thinking you were an aggressive driver (and therefore delayed upshifting) and this may have reset it back to the default settings.
If it's still rough shifting, get the fluid changed and any filters and screens cleaned/replaced. VW likes to claim the fluid is lifetime, but most of us notice our transmissions fare better with a fluid change every 40K miles.