10K TDI Maintenance question

Hi

I have a 99 Jetta TDI and recently changed the oil for the first time at 77K miles (I just bought the car a few months ago). While looking in the manual to see that I purchase the proper oil, I noticed that there was something that I am supposed to drain at 10K miles. Some kind of water condensation thing. I can't seem to discover where any type of drain is and I can't seem to find any manuals which cover the New body style Jetta (Chilton or Hemmings).

Can anyone assist in finding the location of a drain plug or whatever it is I need to check?

TIA

Mike snipped-for-privacy@excite.com

Reply to
Mike Smith

It is talking about the fuel filter. It also filters water. I don't know your car, but most of the time you will find it in the engine compartment, about the size of a large oil filter and will have something on the bottom to allow it to be drained. There will be two or four hoses attached to the top. If two, they are fuel in and out. If there are four there will be the two fuel and two heater hoses to heat the fuel in winter.

The Bentley manual will have all the information you could want.

You may want to check out the TDI Club, they may have instructions on their site.

Joseph Meehan

your car, but most of the time you will find it in

something on the bottom to allow it to be drained.

and out. If there are four there will be the two

Reply to
Erik Dillenkofer

You are probably referring to the water separator at the bottom of the fuel filter.

You can get a service manual for the car from Bentley Publishers (available at rb.com , VW dealers, online book stores, and online VW parts stores).

Reply to
Timothy J. Lee

Right. I changed mine at 20K and it is about due for the second change. I lost that funky clip the first time and had to make a new one out of paper clips until I could get a replacement. That won't happen again. :-)

I do recommend draining it often however. I have found out twice that while most service stations do a good job of keeping their fuel in good shape and dry, not all do. One fill up I got at a station at the entrance to Yellowstone park some years ago made me very happy that I knew how to drain that thing. I caught another load before it caused trouble from a local station, although it had a lot less water in it, it still had a lot.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

OK, I will look for it tonight when I get home. Thanks for the info.

I see it on thier website, $149. I guess that is why I couldn't find it at bookstores or autopart stores yet.

Reply to
Mike Smith

Yes, Water in diesel can be a problem.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

at 20,000 miles there's no more than a few drops of

expensive changing it every 20,000 miles since the filter

injection pump. $2,500 will buy a lot of filters ...

Good point. The car has 78K on it now and it looks to have been well maintained before I bought it but I would like to be SURE it was changed at 78K.

Thanks for the tip

Mike

Reply to
Mike Smith

Hmm, so this filter actually filters the water out of the fuel? I was thinking that there was some kind of condensation as a by product of the diesel burning process or something. I will check it ASAP since I just came back from a trip. I usually pick busy stations to fill up at so I knoew the fuel gets cycled a lot.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Smith

Yep, that was it. I am checking it tonight

Dang that is a huge book, 1900 pages! I will get one from rb.com. Thanks

Reply to
Mike Smith

Everyone refers to that particular clip as the "Mickey Mouse" clip ... look at it's shape and you'll know why.

lost that funky clip the first time and had to make

happen again. :-)

while most service stations do a good job of keeping

at the entrance to Yellowstone park some years ago

before it caused trouble from a local station,

the information you could want.

Reply to
Erik Dillenkofer

Jim B.