Weird Problem - 1993 Jetta 5 Speed

When I step on the gas pedal off the start, the tach revs up fast to

4.5k but there's no power/acceleration just the revving of the engine

- almost like it's in neutral - clutch?

Reply to
angusbn

Clutch if it's a standard but definitely not if it's an automatic!

Reply to
Ears

yep

Reply to
Lost In Space/Woodchuck

yes sounds like the clutch or a CV Joint is bad

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

How are the other gears? Sounds like a worn out clutch disc to me.

Reply to
Madesio

Subject says "5-speed"....so not auto. VW's autos then were 4-speed.

Reply to
Matt B.

Go find a moderate hill (enough for some load/strain but not really hard either). At the bottom of it, let off the gas and keep the clutch engaged and in gear until the engine is around 2000rpm (somewhat low but not so low that the engine seriously bogs), then punch the gas w/o shifting...keep it in gear. Pay attention to the revs in relation to the car's speed. Then, take your foot totally off the gas. If the revs climbed disproportionately to the car's speed while the gas was floored and then the revs *very abruptly* fell back down when the gas was released , it's a slipping clutch for sure.

Reply to
Matt B.

Reply to
none2u