1985 Rabbit Cabriolet will not idle cold

Hello all. My gas rabbit suddenly will not idle when cold (10 degree C weather or 50 degree F). Will start and rev up then starts to run rough and die. Able to quickly restart.

Once the car is warmed up, will run fine. I checked for vacuum leaks, but can't seem to fine any problems.

suggestions?

Thanks Grant

Reply to
loeb1

Not wishing to hijack this thread, but I've got the same problem on an '86 Golf. Symptoms are exactly the same. Unfortunately, due not having much spare time at the time, I took the car to a local garage to take a look at. Got the car back from them and the problem seemed to have been cured. However, I suspect they either just frigged it, as having recently taken the car in for it's MOT, it failed on emissions. This garage tuned the car to fix the emissions issue, but low and behold, the cold-idle issue is back.

Presumably this is some form of carb issue? Is a replacement worth considering? Anything else to check in the mean time?

Any thoughts much appreciated.

Cheers,

Mark

Reply to
mark

Check again for vac. leaks. What engine is it?

SFC

schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@a28g2000hsc.googlegroups.com...

Check again for vac. leaks. What engine is it?

SFC

Reply to
SFC

berichtnews: snipped-for-privacy@a28g2000hsc.googlegroups.com...

The engine is 1800cc gas

Reply to
loeb1

Grant you and the other guy who hijacked your thread LOL! (Just kidding) should check out your intake hose for cracks and also the intake manifold for leaks. Once it's hot, the leaks go away due to expansion and in the case of rubber contraction.

Reply to
Peter Parker

I had one that had some sort of start issue that a new used control pressure regulator fixed. I think it was hot start problems thought. In any event you should at least take the cpr out to blow the crud out of it. The few I have touched have had junk in the screen. Sometimes flushing out that junk helps.

I am with others that air leaks can cause some problems.

Reply to
Jim Behning