Idle Speed When Stopped

The idle speed on my 2000 TJ 4L has suddenly gone screwy. When I come to a complete stop the speed drops and the engine will eventually die. This only happens when it's a complete stop, if I'm moving even the least bit i'ts fine. It's also normal when cold, if you let it warm up while parked it will run great until it's warmed up then the idle becomes gradually rougher until it dies. Any ides?

Thanks

Reply to
K. Ulicni

My old 91 Wrangler with the 4.0L used to act like that except it did it all the time regardless of wether the engine was cold or hot. On mine it turned out to be a bad VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor) which is located on the transfer case where the speedo cable comes in.

Jeff Hendron 2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon MatrixOne Support Skyjacker 4" lift, JKS Disconnects Agilent Technologies Fabtech Front Bumper, Rock Krusher Rear Bumper Co Springs, Colorado Rock Krusher Rock Rails, Custom Swingout Tire Carrier (719) 531-4319 33x12.50 Goodyear MTR's, Mickey Thompson Classic Lock Wheels jeff snipped-for-privacy@agilent.com Bush Whacker Fender Flares, Warn XD9000i Winch

Yamaha WR250ZF

K. Ulicni wrote: : The idle speed on my 2000 TJ 4L has suddenly gone screwy. When I come : to a complete stop the speed drops and the engine will eventually die. : This only happens when it's a complete stop, if I'm moving even the : least bit i'ts fine. It's also normal when cold, if you let it warm up : while parked it will run great until it's warmed up then the idle : becomes gradually rougher until it dies. Any ides?

: Thanks

Reply to
Jeff Hendron

My Grand Cherokee does that if I don't put oil in both oil fill points, or else if the oil level is getting low it does the same thing.

Reply to
YouGoFirst

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

I think you got it, I disconnected and reconnected the TPS a few times and the idle got a little smoother. It no longer dies out but it is still a bit rough.

Reply to
K. Ulicni

K. Ulicni did pass the time by typing:

Engine off, ignition off: open and close the throttle body (full open) several dozen times, cleans the contacts a bit.

Engine off, ignition on: slowly move the link on the trottle body from closed to full open and back about five times, lets the computer adjust the sensor

Turn the ignition off.

Now see how it idles.

You should clean the idle air passage, that helps a lot.

Also check all the hoses. Spritz some TB cleaner on the hose ends, if any is sucked in the engine will stammer.

Reply to
DougW