96 Jetta Clutch Cable

Hey,

Has anyone had any problems with the manual adjust clutch cable for an MKIII jetta 2.0? I just had my second one go on me... just like the first, alittle over a year old the cable pulled out of the crimp on the pedal end. It was installed properly, according to my bently manual.... Is this a common problem?

Reply to
Warren Abrey

Was it an aftermarket one or one from the dealer? Was it stiff to operate? Did you lube it before you installed it?

Reply to
One out of many daves

They have all be genuine VW parts... the dealership told me there was nothing I need to do to the cables before I installed them, so no I didn't lube them, they are mostly covered in a plastic anyways.

Reply to
Warren Abrey

Maybe a bad batch of cables. The USA 96 Jettas that I see usually have self-adjusting clutch cables. Although I have been sent a manually adjusting cable before, I opted not to use it.

Is it hard to press the clutch pedal down? I have seen some vehicles, especially VW Foxes, have old and stiff pressure plates. So being hard to press something weak has to break and it is usually the cable.

good luck, dave (One out of many daves)

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Self-adjusting clutch cable? Maybe I have one. I sure haven't adjusted mine, and it feels fine.

Reply to
Tom's VR6

Reply to
One out of many daves

Boing. I knew that. Then my brain skipped.

Reply to
Tom's VR6

I originally had a self asjusting cable, but had more problems with that one, VW also makes the manual adjusting cable because they had tonnes of problems with the self adjusts... don't ever touch that unit by the way, breathing on them will break it..

OK... Well thanks everybody it appears that my vw likes the taste of clutch cables...

oh well.

Reply to
Warren Abrey

Then I might suspect the rubber washer/cushion on the firewall AND on the transmission. Maybe the washers for the manual adjusted clutch are different than the self adjusting ones. I think I have changed 2 clutch slave cylinders on the VR6 transmissions and maybe 1 self adjusting clutch cable on a 2.0 engine. I don't see those self adjusting clutch cables go bad that often. But they can.

Just a thought and good luck. later, dave (One out of many daves)

Reply to
dave