1990 Jetta - Front Wheel Bearings

Hi Everybody:

Sorry if this topic has been covered before but....

My front wheel bearings are shot...with 283,000 kilometres, I can't complain. That being said, is this a job that can be done in the driveway, or should I be saving my pennies and going to a mechanic for this? I don't have a press available, so I'm guessing that that in itself pretty much makes this job next to impossible....

Thanks,

Peter

Reply to
Pete Cressman

There is a special tool that removes the bearings while they are still on the vehicle. It cost about as much as doing one side so it is worth the cost but it can't be used on ABS style wheels.

Reply to
Peter Parker

You could always take off the wheel bearing carrier (or whatever you wish to call it) and take it either to the dealer or an automotive machine shop and have them install the new bearings for you. I believe that Harbor Freight sells the front wheel bearing tool at a reasonable cost if you don't wish to rent it. I have not used either yet.....my press seems to work for me!

dave

Well I have done this in my driveway. It is a real pita. Hammering away trying to get the bearing assembly out, it will all come apart. The outer race can be hammered out with a suitable size object (large socket, piece of pipe) but you really have to wack it and it comes out slow. To get the inner race off, i grind a spot down (with a grinder) and then give it a good wack. This causes it to crack and now it can be easily? removed. Installation is done using my bench vice (just big enough to fit). To fully seat the bearing, I use the old outer race to push into the recessed area.

***Having said all that, i do not recommend it!!! I was (am still) young and foolish.(but think of the money I saved - ahhhhhhh) I have since hooked up with someone who got a cheap press from Princess Auto. Life is better now. rick btw - mine went around the same mileage - put it off until I couldn't stand the rumbly noise any more
Reply to
Rick De Visser

||>From: "Pete Cressman" snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com ||>

||>My front wheel bearings are shot...with 283,000 kilometres, I can't ||>complain. That being said, is this a job that can be done in the driveway, ||>or should I be saving my pennies and going to a mechanic for this? I don't ||>have a press available, so I'm guessing that that in itself pretty much ||>makes this job next to impossible.... ||>

Be sure you give them to someone who knows what they are doing. This will be a bit of a puzzle to someone who hasn't done it before. You should probably plan ahead so your car won't be down.

||I believe that Harbor Freight sells the front wheel bearing tool at a ||reasonable cost if you don't wish to rent it. I have not used either ||yet.....my press seems to work for me!

Me too, but it takes a bit of thought and resourcefullness coming up with a way to support it, as I recall.

This has come up before. One of the online parts vendors rents the correct tool. Buy the bearings from them, place a deposit, and get parts and tools UPS. Return the tool afterwards. Very reasonable. Do a google search. Texas Parts Guy

Reply to
Rex B

Without a press, I've only heard nightmares so I opt for the dealer when the need arises. Whatever you decide, get the VW part number and cross-reference it with Timken (they're on Northfield I think)--you might be surprised by the savings.

Darryl.

Reply to
Darryl

Timken...never heard of them....

Reply to
Pete Cressman

I hope you're being factious, since Timken is only one of the largest bearing manufacturers in the US, and quite possibly the world.

Reply to
Biz

Well, I can't say that I am up on my bearing manufacturers....It's not something that I follow...So if I am being honest, then yes, I hadn't heard of them before.

Reply to
Pete Cressman

Reply to
verndog

||Timken...never heard of them....

Timken's policy is "U.S. made or OE sourced". That means if you buy a bearing for a VW, it is probably the same as the one the VW sells. You car needs a Timken #510004, should run about $50 retail each. Texas Parts Guy

Reply to
Rex B

Rapid Parts will sell you the bearings and rent you the tool that you need to press the bearings out/in without removing the spindle from the car. I did this years ago on an 82 Rabbit convert adn the cost was less than $100 to do both sides including shipping both ways. It would cost a little more now because they charge more for the rental. I did a big writeup on the procedure which I can email to you if you want it. Be sure to remove the invalid from the end of my email address.

Bill

Reply to
William Maslin

Hi Bill!

I read the write up on your website....but if I am to be honest, I question my own ability to do this job...I don't have a garage and my fear is that I would get everything apart, only to realize that I can't get the car put back together....

Reply to
Pete Cressman

Are Timken bearings available from the average FLAPS?

Reply to
Pete Cressman

Jim B.

Reply to
jimbehning

Friendly Local Auto Parts Store

Reply to
Rob Guenther

Jim B.

Reply to
jimbehning

Ok....Got an estimate for the wheel bearings...I think that I will have a professional do the job...thanks to all who replied, as I have learned alot!!!!

Reply to
Pete Cressman

Hi again Pete,

I told you there was a Timken on Northfield. Just looked it up, it's Lou's Bearings (510 Weber St N, 884-1220). They'll cross reference anything and probably have more stock than one of the jobbers/FLAPS.

Darryl.

Reply to
Darryl

||Are Timken bearings available from the average FLAPS?

Yes, very much so. Most Parts Plus stores carry them. Also I think O'Reilly does.

||> Timken's policy is "U.S. made or OE sourced". ||> That means if you buy a bearing for a VW, it is probably the same as the ||one the ||> VW sells. ||> You car needs a Timken #510004, should run about $50 retail each. ||> Texas Parts Guy || ||

Texas Parts Guy

Reply to
Rex B