92 Pathfinder- Fr Wheel Bearings

Is it reasonable for me to maintenance my 92 Pathfinder 4x4 front bearings? I am a weekend warrior competent enough to replace brakes, hoses, alternators. With the manual at my side and decent set of tools, is this a hard job for the novice on the 92 Pathy?

Also, these bearings have not been maintenanced before (car has 92k on it). The driving is 99% road/hwy. Should I expect damage? If I see pitted bearings, what happens if I lube them back up and continue using them? I only ask this b/c back when I drove a VW I did this all the time and nothing really happened. Was it luck? I guess I should look up prices to replace with new before asking this, but my guess is new bearings/races would run $100.

Thanks for any and all advice- this group is very helpful!

Reply to
MM

I just recently did mine. If there is grease still in there, then you are in luck. Clean all the parts with brake cleaner or solvent like gasoline, towel them dry, then repack them with heavy duty lithium or marine grade grease. I prefer marine grease.

Jim Rojas

Reply to
Jim Rojas

if there pitted, i'd replace them, wheel bearings usually arent too pricey, id guess around $30.00 total per side for both bearings and races. thats about what it was when i last did the task on a different make and model. Ive never done it on a pathfinder though so im not sure of price. that reminds me, i really should check my pathfinder wheel bearings also. could check autozone.com for aftermarket prices to at least get an idea of cost.

Shawn

Reply to
Shawn

Jim, I took the front hubs off and removed the bearings to replace the upper ball joints on my 1995 4WD Pathy. The only "trick" I saw was that the service manual calls out a low torque value for the bearing holder (a ring with several holes around the diameter to grip it), and the hub is supposed to just turn at some low foot-pound force. I made a two-pronged tool to fit in the bearing holder holes for proper torquing , and used a scale for the foot-pound force on the hub. Seemed like a lot of work, especially after a Nissan dealer wrench said he always just did the job "by feel". Now he had

30+ years of experience. This was the first time I took the front hubs apart so I tired to be as careful as possible. When I was done, I had the front end aligned, and I've put about 20k miles on the vehicle with no apparent problems

I'm guessing that if you don't have 4WD, the job should be a whole lot easier?? I'm NOT trying to scare you away from the job. I'm just relating my anecdotal experience.

Good luck,

Manjo 1995 SE Pathfinder

bearings/races

Reply to