VW Golf, Diesel, 93-95

Folks I need your help with this car. I bought the golf diesel (93) about two years ago and had if about 3 months before it broke down. The best we can figure is that the the crankshaft beat the notch out of the pulley which is not as uncommon as you would think. here is my delemia:

1) Do i fix the car

or

2) do I repalce the enigine.

I am looking for some advice as well as some help in locating an engine for the car. I am also open to other ideas on what to do with the car (convert it to gas, etc...)

If any of you would like to help and haev some information please post here or contact me at snipped-for-privacy@nbnet.nb.ca

I live in Canada so all canucks are welcomed as well.

Thanks in advance

Anthony

Reply to
ICEBERG

The same happened to a friend years ago on a dasher diesel, remember them? Anyways he ended up putting a new pulley on and then drilling a hole half way on the pulley and half way on the crank shaft. Then inserting a steel dowl. Next step was putting on a new bolt using red locktite. This after even having the crank welded up and new keyway machined. VW has several bullitens on this. Proper torque is required. The exact position on the diesel is not real critical because the camshaft pulley is not keyed. After another fifty k miles the car went to college with a daughter. Later sold.

JoBo

Reply to
Jo Bo

Here are a few questions:

  1. Is the body and the rest of the car in good shape?

  1. Is the crank ruined?

  2. Can you find a used engine?

New these engines cost over $3000, so I would think that a used engine would be the route I would go. Four Star Motorsports in Georgetown, Ontario, has a diesel short block for sale. Here is the link:

I am guessing that your are in New Brunswick, so this is a long way from you. I have a 95 Golf TD and I had a knowledgeable independant VW shop install a dowel in the crank, before I had a problem with the bolt.

Good luck, Dave Cotie

Reply to
David Cotie

Reply to