1990 passat auto shifting problem

I just purchased a 90 passat in good condition The problem I have is the trans . It is a 4 speed auto. When in the 4 position the car starts out in 3rd gear and never hits fouth. However when I manually move the shifter from1,2,3,I get all three but still no 4th. Is this minor or a computer problem say($200)US or major throw the car away deal. Any help or opinion greatly appreciated

Reply to
julio

could be a lot of things from as simple as the muti-function switch to internal trans problems. You need to get a VAG printout first and see what the faults are. What you describe is the trans in "limp mode" because a fault(s) is present.

Reply to
Woodchuck

no, if it was in "limp mode" the trans would be permanently in 3rd gear regardless of the shifter position.

one question: not getting into 4th: at what RPM?

there is a sport/economy switch and if set to sport the shift points are moved higher (although supposedly for 1-3 not 4th). there could be a problem with this circuit. there is a TCU and the wiring to the valve solenoids that control the shift points.

but this is likely why the previous owner got rid of the car.

my son's '92 passat went through the original tranny (it died) and a yard-pulled tranny (it died) and now on a warranty replaced 4th that has problems (though not related to the other tranny's problems...this seems to be electrical and poor installation problems not intenal...yet!).

if you're serious about fixing it, you could get the VAG-COM from

for $250 for that car and pull the codes yourself and go from there.

That's actually only 2 times what the dealer will charge you to pull the codes and then you'll have a tool to diagnose the trans and engine control units in the '90.

-- Rob

Reply to
-- Rob

This may sound silly but true, we had a 1998 Polo Auto that would not change into 4 th, turned out to be the fuse that covered the rear fog lights, I was quoted hundreds by gearbox people to cure it, luckily a friend advised me to check all the fuses as he had the same problem on a Vauxhall corsa, in his case it was the reverse light fuse.

John

Reply to
John C