1991 Passat vibratin g teering wheel column..

I'm a new comer to this News Group. I own a 1991 Passat automatic transmission with 150000 Km. When the car is stopped at a red light with the break pedal and still in Drive gear, there is a strong vibration in the steering wheel. If you put it on Neural the vibration almost completely disappear but is still felt. The motor runs smooth and the vibration completely disappear when you accelerate. The engine supports have been change but still no improvement and I would say it is worse than it was.

Anyone has an idea what could cause this vibration? Could it comme from the transmission or the air conditioned compressor? Thanks in advance for your help.

Claude

Reply to
cgilb

Were all 3 mounts replaced? Them old Passats always did have some vibs at idle...

Reply to
Woodchuck

Yep, common problem with the 16V engines. When the mounts go, the steering wheel shakes.

Reply to
quattroA4cars