1995 Jetta III: Odometer backlighting is out...Help??

Hello-

My 1995 Jetta III has an issue where the backlighting for the mileage counter is out. I can see the digits, it just doesn't glow green when the lights are on like the trip meter, and automatic gear selection indicator...

Is this fixable? Is it just a LED or a new odometer alltogether (which I don't want to do). I can live with it if it is too difficult/costly....

Thanks for any help Tim

Reply to
Timothy

Your other post regarding the back lighting for the climate controls was answer by Pete Cressman in another post. Hope you saw it...

The lighting is incandescent bulbs. One of the failure modes has been for the sockets to loosen over time and heat. This was the first year (or one of the first) with DRLs, and it took VWoA some time to get it right. Eventually they added a ballast resistor to lower the power to the bulbs with just the DRLs on (there's a TSB describing the procedure to add it to the models that didn't have it). If the bulb isn't blown, just pull the socket, tweak the pins and replace.

From what I've heard, if the bulb is blown, it's supposed to be easy to find without the socket. Just replace the bulb and save some $$. All my IP lamps are still fine , but I run my lights very low.

Mark '95 Jetta GLS

Reply to
Mark Randol

Probably needs new bulbs.

About $2 each at the dealer.

Very easy fix.

Pop the little cover on the left of the headlight switch out.

Depress the little tab and pop the headlight switch out.

Remove the screw beneath the headlight switch. Same thing on opposite side. Pop the dummy panels out and remove the screw behind it.

Then the cluster surround will pop out. There are 2 additional screws behind it securing the cluster in. Remove them, and pull cluster towards you, rolling the top end out first.

There are only 2 bulbs used to illuminate the mk3 cluster, and there are both in the strip across the upper portion on the back side.

Reply to
Dave