1999 Golf TDI - chirping from front left wheel

Hello

I have notived a chirping noise coming from the front left wheel of my car. It increases its speed with the speed of the car, and never goes away... so something is either worn or rubbing, I would imagine. Its a rather high pitched noise, it gets a little annoying if the sound reverberates off the side of a building, parked cars etc... can't hear a thing with the windows up (which is why I didn't notice it, I prefer climate control to fresh air care of the windows.... only because I hate the noise and the pulses of air in my eardrums... it is so damned annoying, how to people drive with their windows down all the time I always wonder)

Anyhow, I am thinking maybe the brake pad could be rubbing against the rotor, or a wheel bearing could be worn or something... my brake rotors I don't think are warped... they checked the brakes only 5000kms ago and replaced the pads, and I would imagine the bearings hadbeen checked... I can't feel anything that would suggest they are gone, the car steers perfectly.

.... while listening to this noise I also heard some vibrations in the back seat, I think the belt buckle is hitting against a pillar back there.... :-(.... and the rear suspension isn't all that silent over certain aggressive bumps... it makes a bit of a clunk, seems normal for the type of bump tho (like the noise is being echoed in the trunk... maybe its my bottle of diesel additive rattling back there)... i'm not too worried. Time to go back to playing my radio, closing all my windows, and running my fan at speed 3 and concentrating on driving the car, not listening to noises.

Reply to
Rob Guenther

I have seen quite a few front wheel bearings go on these cars. That could be the problem in the front, or possibly your sway bar bushings are shot....these 2 items seem to be causing problems for allot of the A4s...

- Pete

Reply to
Peter Cressman

Reply to
Rob Guenther

have you checked for a nest of birds living in your fender? Just kidding. I am curious if your problem is perhaps a cv joint, although cv joints tend to "clack" when they go bad not "chirp".

Reply to
bob

ALL THE TIME.... I mean going at 1kph, 80kph..... I can hear it at highway speeds barely over the wind noise (its almost a high pitched wail at this point... but it pulsates). It does it around turns, over bumps, accelerating, decellerating.... anytime the wheel is in motion... I am thinking bearings, hubs, constant velocity joints etc etc...something in that area.

Reply to
Rob Guenther