Timing belt/ater pump replacement on TDI?

Hi folks-

I've been calling around town getting prices for a timing belt replacement on my 1998 Jetta TDI. It's the first replacement at 60K miles. One shop recommends replacing the water pump at the same time. He says it'll go soon anyway so do it while it's apart.

Do any experienced owners out there know if replacing the pump is worth the extra expense? Will my water pump likely die soon? It hasn't leaked yet.

BTW: Does anyone know of a good shop in Portland, OR that is qualified to do the work and NOT charge stealer prices?

Thanks, John.

Reply to
John Speth

Do the pump. Most of the cost for either is the labor and the labor with or without the pump is almost the same. It's cheap insurance.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Reply to
Woodchuck

Not an experienced anything, but lots of visits to

tought me that some engine mount bolts have to be replaced when doing the TB. It's a big expensive job. You don't want to have to do it again for the WP.

Make sure they replace the bolts, they "stretch" when installed (maybe the new ones don't?). There are plenty of disaster stories of broken bolts dropping engines after a poorly-done TB change.

Reply to
Wakeley Purple

They stretch only once. They can't do it twice so they are used only one time. Same type of thing was used on my 1965 Sunbeam Imp. Well worth the extra few dollars.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Reply to
uboo

Sorry I don't know. I would go to the dealer and buy them They will not be all that expensive. They will just seem expensive.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

I've always had the impression that only the head bolts "stretched". My only experience here is an 84 diesel Jetta so I may be wrong. Are there other bolts on the motor that stretch, maybe on a newer vehicle?

WhiteDog

Reply to
WHTDOG469

was up a couple of minutes ago. There is *tons* ofinfo about TB changes. The non-reusable bolts are on the engine mount.

Reply to
Wakeley Purple

Starting with the A4 chassis, (mid 99 model year) there are lots of stretch bolts under the hood of a tdi car. Motor mounts, sub frame, injector pump and more, a green tint is the tell tail sign. Also the A4 tdi's use the waterpump for a ideler for timing belt so it should be replaced. But this does not apply to a 98 tdi. The original poster was asking about a 98 tdi. It's a A3 and more like the earlier diesels.

JoBo

Reply to
Jo Bo

I reused my bolts on the waterpump when I replaced my A3 2.0L gas waterpump. It worked okay until I found out the brand new waterpump was faulty and had a leak out of the weeper hole. The second time around was easier and I still reused the bolts. No problems since.

Reply to
Peter Parker

||In article , ||WHTDOG469 wrote: ||>>From: Wakeley Purple snipped-for-privacy@remove.me.iglou.com ||>

tought me ||>>that some engine mount bolts have to be replaced when doing the TB. It's a ||>>big expensive job. You don't want to have to do it again for the WP. ||>>

||>I've always had the impression that only the head bolts "stretched". My only ||>experience here is an 84 diesel Jetta so I may be wrong. Are there other bolts ||>on the motor that stretch, maybe on a newer vehicle?

All bolts stretch under toque. That's how they work. In fact, the most accurate way to measure the torque of a rod bolt is to measure the change in overall length (stretch) when torqued. It's right when it's exactly the length specified for that fastener. Many newer engines - 1.9 Escort was the first I recall - have a type of headbolt called Torque to Yield. They do not return to their original length when removed, so they must not be removed. If your engine has this type of head bolt, there should be plenty of clues, on the gasket set, in the workshop manual. Texas Parts Guy

Reply to
Rex B

|| Many newer engines - 1.9 Escort was the first I recall - have a type of ||headbolt called Torque to Yield. They do not return to their original length ||when removed, so they must not be removed.

should say "..must not be reused" Texas Parts Guy

Reply to
Rex B

The stretch bolts are the ones that bolt the timing belt assembly on to the engine block. Many dealers don't use new bolts when changing timing belts, which is very risky. If you ask a VW dealer's parts dept. if they have them in stock and they tell you no, you have your answer. In that case, what do you suppose the mechanics there are doing?

I'd also change the water pump at the same time.

Reply to
Ken Sternberg

Your right about the dealer parts department not having them is a good sign. However on the A4 (second half of 99 to present) tdi's it the motor mounts use stretch bolts. The mount must be removed to replace the belt. Also some, at least my 99.5 jetta,use them on the injector pump pulley also.

JoBo

Reply to
Jo Bo