2001 Jetta New Owner Needs Info

I just bought a used 2001 Jetta GLS 2.0L with 45K miles.

The car runs great, but there's no owners manual. I hope to get one soon but in the mean time I have some questions:

-- What kind of oil is recommended, and what is the capacity?

-- What octane gas is recommended? Is 87 sufficient?

-- What is the prescribed service at 45K miles? Is there any way I can tell for myself if the service has been done? Is it best to go to a VW dealer for the service, or would any good mechanic do?

-- Can a VW dealer provide an extra set of keys, including the main key with the remote, plus a valet key?

-- There is a slight rattle coming from the front passenger/door when going over bumps or driving fast. Is this to be expected?

Thanks in advance for any answers.

-- Dave

Reply to
DaveR

I go with 4.25qts of 10-30 unless you are in a colder climate then 5-30

YES

45K is an oil change. NO, YES & YES.

Yes that's the only place because if you have an immobilizer then all the keys need programed.

Window regulars done yet? Dealer should be able to check.

Reply to
Woodchuck

Thanks a lot for your reply.

So I assume the best idea is to bring the car into a VW dealer for 45K service, and also to ask them to check everything over to make sure prior service was done properly.

I've heard about the window regulators. Is this something the VW dealer is allowed to replace them proactively (free of charge) before the windows fall into the door?

-- Dave

Reply to
DaveR

Probably 5W-40 with VW 502.00, ACEA A3, or API SJ or SL rating.

No service is specified at 45,000 miles. However, if you bought the car used without service records, you'll want to do the 40,000 mile service in order to know when the service was done.

Expensive. You should have insisted on getting all of the keys when buying the car (2 master, 1 valet). Don't forget the wheel lock key (if needed) and the radio code.

Reply to
Timothy J. Lee

Chances are, if the car is missing the owner's manual and some of the keys, the previous owner was probably careless with maintenance as well.

For 2001 VW cars in the US, the 5000, 10000, and 20000 mile services and the first brake fluid change at 2 years were free at a VW dealer. They probably show up in the warranty records that a VW dealer can look up. Additional services are every 10000 miles (the every 20000 mile services are bigger ones, with the every 40000 mile services even bigger). Some engines specify additional oil changes every 5000 miles.

Reply to
Timothy J. Lee

They did that on my '03 Jetta Wagon while looking for another source of noise. That was under the standard warranty, but should that make a difference?

sd

Reply to
sd

I'm not sure, I'll have to ask the dealer. I know that VW has agreed to replace regulators for free for 7 years, but if the car is out of warranty, I don't know if they will do it proactively (as they should) or if I must wait until the window falls into the door.

Reply to
DaveR

Agreed, it would have been ideal to get these things, but they were not available, and that in and of itself was not enough for me to walk away. I got what I feel is a fantastic price, so I don't mind putting some extra money into keys and 40K service.

However, the radio code is another story. What happens if I just don't have it? Can the dealer give me the code?

Reply to
DaveR

The warranty is 7years/70,000 miles and they don't need tobe broke to get the update done!

Reply to
Woodchuck

Even though missing stuff indicates a careless previous owner who may not have done car maintenance (especially if the owner's manual is missing, since that is where the maintenance checklist is)?

You can ask a VW dealer if they can do that.

If you don't have the owner's manual, you can buy a new one from rb.com or a VW dealer.

Reply to
Timothy J. Lee