Check Engine Light after 40K Service

My 2001 Jetta GLS 2.0L has 51K miles. I got it at 45K miles last year and it has been running fine, but since the pollen filter was very dirty I assumed the previous owner never did the 40K service, so I just had it done (at the dealer).

After driving the car for a couple of days, the check engine light has come on. What could this mean? Is it safe to just ignore it for awhile and hope it goes away on its own?

-- Dave

Reply to
DaveR

get the fault code scanned.

Reply to
Matt B.

My 2001 Jetta GLS 2.0L has 51K miles. I got it at 45K miles last yea

and it has been running fine, but since the pollen filter was ver dirty I assumed the previous owner never did the 40K service, so just had it done (at the dealer)

After driving the car for a couple of days, the check engine light ha

come on. What could this mean? Is it safe to just ignore it for awhil and hope it goes away on its own

- Dav you will need to take it to a reputable shop where the technition will plug in a scanner tool and retrieve the code(s) check the circuit and look up in service manual or on a subscribed ALLDATA system a series of tests to isolate the problem. and the fact that the "pollen filter was dirty and had been changed a few days before has nothing to do with the engine light coming on" engine light came on because it detected a fault somewhere and has stored that code in your obd2 computer memory ;

-- johnin

View this thread:

Send from

johnin

In article , johnin wrote: # #My 2001 Jetta GLS 2.0L has 51K miles. I got it at 45K miles last year #and it has been running fine, but since the pollen filter was very #dirty I assumed the previous owner never did the 40K service, so I #just had it done (at the dealer). # #After driving the car for a couple of days, the check engine light has #come on. What could this mean? Is it safe to just ignore it for awhile #and hope it goes away on its own? # # #-- #Dave #you will need to take it to a reputable shop where the technition will #plug in a scanner tool and retrieve the code(s) check the circuit and #look up in service manual or on a subscribed ALLDATA system a series of #tests to isolate the problem. and the fact that the "pollen filter was #dirty and had been changed a few days before has nothing to do with the #engine light coming on" engine light came on because it detected a #fault somewhere and has stored that code in your obd2 computer memory #;) # # #-- #johnin

Dave and Johnin,

You may also be able to get the code yourself. Double-check with your service manual, but many cars will tell you the code(s) if you cycle the ignition on/off/on/off/on without cranking.

/herb

Reply to
Herb Leong

I plan to do this. But it is very frustrating that it has occurred after the 40K service. Did the dealer break something? Are they now going to claim that something new is broken even though they checked out the car fully last week?

I'm beginning to think I should have left well enough alone and just changed the oil and keep driving. It was doing fine.

Reply to
DaveR

Also, I forgot to mention that the dealer convinced me to do a fuel injection cleaning. I was a bit hesitant because it is not in the VW service guidelines, but he claimed VW sanctions it.

Could they have screwed something up? I guess anything is possible...

Reply to
DaveR

Go to Autozone and they will check the code for free. I've done this twice on my 02 Jetta. I still ended up at the dealer for repair but at least had an idea what to expect.

Reply to
Zoofreak